She is pushing my buttons today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
Well if you have read any of my posts you know that Belle has a little humping problem, and is making bald patches on Sooty's back. Today i seen that Sooty has a bald spot on his back and there is some scabs on his back where Cujo has been ripping his hair out. So today Belle was being more relentless then normal and sooty kept trying to get away from her and she was nipping at him for rejectinf her advances. Soi got in the pen to fill the hay up some more and she started mounting him so i kept pushing her off, she went into the cage then she came charging out and bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! me, thankfully she got my nail so no blood, but what is wrong with her. She is like in rare form today, and i am afraid that sooty is going to piss her off and they are going to get into a fight. i am going to beat her little bunny hinney :shock: :biggrin2: if she bites me again,lol. what do you think is her problem? amd do you think the scabs on his back are ok?

I'm sorry nobody replied to this:shock:..

I would be declined to keep them together just because of the scabs on his back:?.They're getting worse? Are you applying Neosporin or an antiseptic to the affected areas? You should and let us know how that goes. If you have any questions, feel free to pm any of us;).

Could just separate them for when you sleep? Then, put them together again when you're home/around all the time? Just an idea, not sure if you're around all day or not;).

The humping is normal. Doesn't matter if it's a female or male, they both will do it for dominance:shock:.

I just think it's dominance/hormones. Plus, if you are in her way, look out:p. That's her way of telling you that you're in her way and she's not happy about it:X.

You can let out a high pitched "Eee" or something like that to let the bun know that biting hurts:).Alot ot timesthat makes them stop, they realize that hurts you;).

Just keep an eye on them and watch to see if the dominance shifts. Keep us posted;).

I don't have the expertise on bonding bunnies that others do on this Forum, but it sounds like Belle shouldn't be around Sooty unless you can supervise them. Humping is a dominence issue, but if he is getting hurt, Belle isn't "playing nice". And if she is nipping at you, sounds like you should take a step back in her training and go slower.

I occasionally see does that don't want anyone touching their coop ("DON"T clean that corner! I like it just the way it is, THANKYOUVERYMUCH!"), but this behavior generally lessens as they mature. (And tends to be less pronounced in spayed does. I know she's spayed, she may just need time to grow up.)

Maybe seperate them again, and start back a few steps. Give her time to mature and him time to heal.

Edited to add: I've had Dutch that were very stubborn. Have patience and give her time.

I agree but I too am not good on the whole bonding thing.

Clover and Bo attacked Tony so I keep them all apart now. Bo and Clover have spats but bo usually backs down to her. She's just obnoxious so I guess he gave up. LOL!

about the neosporine, how much , how often does it get applied? if Belle gets any in her mouth will it hurt her?

it is not a real bad scab, i am thinking that it is from her pulling out his hair that it is a little scabby.

I am home all day and i was watching her, after i gave her a little alone time in her cage, and Sooty looked like a husbun in the dog house, he stayed out in the pen all day she seemed a little better. I keep looking at his back and it looks ok, not infected looking or any worse looking, but man oh man she was a terror yesterday. It must have been something in the air because the piggies were humping and squeaking yesterday too. i know that mounting is a dominance thing , and i agree that Belle is "not playing nice" Is there something that i can do to make her play nice? so far Sooty is being extremely nice to her and not beating her bunny but for giving him a bald spot, and he is very submissive to her but i want her to play nice so she doesnt hurt him anymore.

I'd put a thin coating of the Neosporin on once a day and try to keep Belle from licking him. (Make sure it isn't the Neosporin with Pain Killers in it). I also use Vanodine spray on cuts and sores. (Iodine based disinfectant). Works good to prevent infection and won't hurt them if they lick it.

HPIM1765.jpg

HPIM1764.jpg

HPIM1769.jpg

Here are pics the best i can do for his back, it is not red dispite the the picture, i covered the flash because it was too bright and you couldnt see anything. i dont know if you can see in the first two pics that the skin is still a nice normal color and the cut/scab is a light pinkie color. not getting any worse but i dont know how much better it will get if she is chewing at it when she is grooming him.

Latest posts

Back