"She" is back, but in a different body.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
He is a sweet little (roughly 12 week old) dumbo eared rat :). It is really hard to explain his color, but he is himalayan pointed with a light creme/burmese colored mask/opposum face.

He is so gorgeous and is a total cuddle bug. He reminds me so much of my heart rat, Fayl. I couldn't say no to his little face, even though he was from Petco. I feel horribly mad at myself for purchasing him and "supporting" Petco in that way, but he tugged at my heart! I cried in the middle of Petco at the thought of leaving him behind.

I took one look at him and just knew he said, "Hey mom....I have been waiting for you!".

The girl took him out for me to hold him, and I said to myself, "Now, Amy....if he freaks out and is skiddish, you will hand him back and walk away"....what did he do?!....cuddled up in my coat :shock:.

Pictures to come tomorrow. He needs time to settle!

I been sittin here boohooing after writing my blog, and your post really uplifted me..

Yeah and it made me more boohooey but in a different way.

I am happy for you, and your your new little one.

I am holdin you to that picture promise...

Zin

Thanks, Zin. I am sorry about your son's piggie :(, but I always do believe that your lost pets come back to you again!

I should have explained more about my "purchase" last night, but I was so darn tired from working 7 hours, then shopping for another couple of house with my "MIL"....that I left it out so I could get to bed.

The little rattie apparently was dumped there from someone who had purchased him before me. Petco has that "14 day guarentee", in which you can return the animal if you are not happy with it. I talked with the girl a long time while holding the little guy because we just got into a conversation about rats, she said she played with them a lot on her shifts. She told me that the former owner dumped this little guy back off and that when a person gives the animal back, they are supposted to give the cage with the animal, so that they can put the animal on a table (in their cage) in the front of the store as an "adoption". The girl said the owner returned the little guy in the box that they put them in when you buy them, so they had to put him back in with the other rats. This would most likely explain the patchy fur...probably from scuffles with unfamiliar rats, because they just tossed him in with rats he didn't know. He is also pretty friendly, so that could be another explaination of that because normally when you buy a rat from them....they have never been handled.

So, it was kind of an adoption and kind of a purchase. My money still went to Petco, but atleast this little guy didn't end up a feeder or a child's pet that didn't know a darn about rats.

He is so curious and was begging to come out of his cage when I woke up to go get ready for work in the bathroom. I had to cry, because that is what Fayl always did...greeted me every morning. I don't cry because he "looks" like Fayl, I cry because he seems like he IS her. The funny think....he is a himi, Fayl was a himi....I love dumbo ears and have always wanted another one, he is a dumbo eared....I love rats with head spots/masks/opposum faces, he has just those markings!

It's so odd....maybe I'm freaking myself out, lol.

I have to go to work....so I'll update with pictures tonight!

Sneak peek (yes, he has ruby eyes!)...

l_7eadf1f4685b473585a0646b5f95a194.jpg

Aww he is so cute!
I love his picture.
The marking is because he's not a self. so he has that color, but still called a Himalayan. And he's Molting so eventually that will fade down till it's almost impossible to see.

I sure hope he keeps the color on his head! He is so darn cute and snuggly. I think a vet trip is in order, though...he is a bit sneezy, but it could also be the "new home sneezes"...coming from Petco, you never know.

I am going to try "shower steaming" him and giving him one dark chocolate mini chip a day, for the next few days before making an appointment.

Oh my gosh, is he CUTE!!! I love love love dumbo ears. I also love white ratties with red eyes (even though he's a himi) because mine are all like that. Congrats on getting a sweet ratty and I'm glad you saved him from the bad pet store. My Petco pretty much exclusively sells rats as feeders (they told me they never handle them because they're just snake food), and I'm certain that my three girlies would be long dead if I hadn't brought them home. Instead, one is happily running on her wheel and the other two are snoozing in their pretty butterfly hangy house after having a nice big dinner.

I know just what you are talking about, Shiloh. All rats need loving homes, pet store or pedigree rats.

I'm still mad that I purchased him, though. I'll get over it, though!

p.s...I should really try to get more pictures of him tomorrow showing off his lovely face. His body is a "mess" right now. He has missing patches of fur and is extremely skinny. He is eating like a piggy though, he really loves my home made mix! I may bathe him tomorrow, then rub him down with olive oil to help with the dry skin patches.

Spartan (my rex) came to me in the same condition, pretty much. He had bare patches of skin, sore spots from itching (he was on pine bedding before), and is breathing was horrid. I shower steamed him 2-3 times a day, put neosporin on his bald/itchy skin, slowly fed him fatty foods & free-fed my home mix with nightly dinners.....and within a couple weeks he was looking great! Since his neuter, he is really looking good.

I can't wait until "little guy" is looking like he belongs here...lol....my rats are all healthy and plump (but not fat!), and it is weird to have a skinny, patchy, rat!

Bed time! Pictures WILL come tomorrow (errr, today....it's 2:05 am), since I need to update cage pictures on the goosemoose thread :).

A rat is still a rat, tail or not :p. A rat is still a rat, hair or not. A rat is still a rat, dumbo eared or not.

Ahhh, I love rattie sayings like that ;).

Spartan, Ralphie, and the new guy are all living happily in the "big boy" cage together :D!

I just took pictures, so I am about to upload them to the computer, then I will post them here tomorrow. It's late right now, so I am finally heading to bed!

undergunfire wrote:
A rat is still a rat, tail or not :p. A rat is still a rat, hair or not. A rat is still a rat, dumbo eared or not.
I know their still rats tail or not but to me I don't like their tails, I like their personality's and cute-ness. juts not their tails

undergunfire wrote:
I know their still rats tail or not but to me I don't like their tails, I like their personality's and cute-ness. juts not their tails

Oh my, what gorgeous rats.

It's nice to know that there's someone out there who loves rats to death, and treats them with such love!

At my shelter, we had a man bring in his two female rats (Light brown with white bellies) He made the cage himself - A tupperware bottom with 6 inches of wire for the top.

Latest posts

Back