Share any ideas of meals/snacks you give to your bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaileyBoy

Reaction score
Do you guys know of any little treats that are good for bunnies and that bunnies find tasty?

I have been giving my bunny occasional treats such as these:

- cranberries
- almonds
- macadamias
- chopped up banana pieces

Are these dangerous for bunnies?

Aside from treats, do you guys have any healthy meal ideas (apart from hay, grass) that you like to give to your bunnies?

Any comments would be much appreciated! :hearts:bunny16

Mint, basil, wheat grass, cilantro, dill, dandelion greens and flowers(in moderation), oregano, arugula, parsley(in moderation), red and green leaf lettuces, kale(in moderation).

Oxbow makes some hay type treats that are fairly healthy too. I avoid nuts and sugary things personally. I don't want to take any chances that I'm going to upset my rabbits digestive system. She gets a rare dried piece of fruit or bit of apple or sliver of banana, maybe once a week at the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall correctly, nuts are not good for bunnies, I think because the fat/carb content is much too high. Cranberries, bananas, tomatoes, apples, pineapple, papaya and so forth are okay, but are high in sugars so tiny amounts only. (Instead of the banana fruit, try offering a rinsed piece of banana skin - my bunnies love it just as much, and it's lower in sugar/higher in fiber so they can have a bigger portion!)

Dark leafy veggies are the best way to go treatwise. Herbs like basil or cilantro are especially good, least likely to illicit a bad gut reaction in sensitive bunnies. Apple/cherry branches for chewing. Some people have their bunnies on a primarily veggie/hay diet, with pellets as treats.

I know some members here have great recipes for making treat cookies and such that are healthy for buns, I'm sure someone will come along soon and share it!

Last edited:
My vet told me almonds in moderation are fine. I need to look up macadamias and get back to you. I give Lady bananas as treats but not every day. Then I found out my husband was.. oh boy... sigh..

Since I have 4 they all eat different things.. for example:

Chico and Chica love apples and tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro, cranberries- the Craisins (thanks Jennifer for the tip), almonds, sunflower seeds, sunflowers (yes the plant), kale, parsley, bell pepper, hum I need to think what else for them?
Dried banana chips. Chico LOVES them. Pears, mango, papaya, hum... I can't think of anything else now.

Lady loves bananas sweet potato sticks, parsley, cilantro, animal crackers, alfalfa, dried apples, craisins sometimes,
hum... need to think

Brooke eats everything dandelion greens, she LOVES Craisins, apples, pears, cilantro, parsley, almonds, nuts, dried banana chips, dried apple chips, alfalfa, timothy hay, fresh grass.. anything edible..

My husband was talking to me today about putting a list together of what things each rabbit likes because they all do NOT like the same food.. which is a bummer when it comes to food shopping

But it sounds like you are on the right track..

Vanessa

Mine get apples, carrots, basil, chocolate mint (no it isn't chocolate, it's a mint plant that smells like chocolate), blackberries, grapes, leaf lettuce, spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, kale, corn, green beans. All in moderation and, all introduced one at a time. Some of mine can't eat various things in my list becasue it gives them digestive upsets. They get more Basil, carrot and apple than anything else since I only feed them what we grow other than hay and pellets and, those are what we have the most of. Carrots and apples store well and dry nicely and, basil grows in the house so it's fresh year round.

I do also give cotton seed meal if they get dull or dry coats and it isn't mites. They like it and, it improves the coat in a week or less.

Latest posts

Back