Shaking head.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisyandoliver

Reaction score
Oliver has been shaking his head a lot lately. Just wondering if this is something I should be worried about or is it okay? He really just will be hopping around and he will stop and shake his head pretty hard and quickly then go on with whatever he was doing. Thank you. :)

BTW my first thought was ear mites; can rabbits get ear mites?

I can't say for sure that it's not medical but I will say that head shaking is a kind of binky/happy dance. Agnes is a huge head shaker, always has been. I think it's so cute. It's just a sign they are happy.

But of course you always want to be safe and rule out anything medical but more than likely he is fine :)

If its a shaking and not a binky it could be an ear infection. If he normally doesn't do that a lot and it just started I would take him to the vet. Ear infections can get serious if not treated. Good luck

I would check for ear mites. Rabbits are prone to them. The best cheapest easiest way to get rid of the mites is to put some baby oil in the ears. It smothers the mites and does not hurt the rabbit. A couple of teespons per ear should work. Watch out though. As soon as you let go of the ear they will shake their head to get it out, but enough stays in to kill the mites. I have done this MANY times and seen it work many more times, even on MAJOR cases or ear canker (really bad mite infestation that causes the ears to get really bloody and scabby on the inside because of mites). Hopefully it is not that, but I just thought that I would point out how to treat it if it is mites.

Back