Shaking Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dublinperky

Reaction score
I got three new rabbits yesterday. They seem to be shaking. It almost looks like they are breathing really fast and their heart beating fast too. It is kind of hot and they are outside but I have ice packs in with them and they are in a cool area with shade. Could it just be stress from being in a new home or just normal????

Can you bring them inside?

I'm not an expert but it sounds like they're terrified. Maybe if you kept them somewhere cool and quiet indoors, they'd feel a little more safe.

My parents don't want them inside. Anyways I had them inside the first day and they were shaking too. I don't know if I am accidently exagerating it and they usually do that:?. I don't know... They probably are scared. Do you think they will settle down after a day or two? Longer???????

It's actually best for pet rabbits to stay indoors. Maybe you can talk it out with your parents again and see if they can reconsider. I hear there's a heat wave in the U.S. right now, and you're in Texas, right? It must be really hot and humid there right now. Rabbits don't do well with heat. Do they have a water bottle available? Always make sure there's water in it for them and just keep monitoring the water level so you'll know if they're drinking.

You're probably worried right now and that's good because that means you care, but try not to show them you're stressed. They pick up on that and it won't make them feel safer. Do you take them out of their cage much?

Regarding the lining of the cage on your other thread, I would personally suggest that the entire floor of the cage be covered. Let's wait for the other members to reply on this thread, maybe they can share their opinions.

Out of curiosity, how old are you? :)

I would keep an eye on them, make sure they get alot of water. You can tell if they are really warm by their ears. If they feel really really hot then you need to find a way of cooling them, (although not too quickly! You need to cool them down quite quickly but not too quickly, so they don't have a quick drop in temperature.

tailof2rabbits wrote:
It's actually best for pet rabbits to stay indoors.
I don't agree with this at all! Sorry, but an outdoor bunny does not mean an unhappy bunny!

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Rabbits do breath very fast, but they shouldn't be shaking like that. Could you maybe get a short video of them so we can see how bad it is?

I'm afraid I have to agree that I'm rabbits shouldn't be housed outside unless your climate is suitable (like here in the UK it's very mild). Texas is hot, isn't it? Might be far too hot for them. :? I also notice that you have wire floors, from your avatar. These are not good, could you cover them over with wooden boards or something, please? It can be very damaging to their feet and not comfortable for them. :(

If you really can't bring them in, provide them with Ice Pods, Frozen water bottles etc. Make sure they are in the shade too.

pinksalamander wrote:
I would keep an eye on them, make sure they get alot of water. You can tell if they are really warm by their ears. If they feel really really hot then you need to find a way of cooling them, (although not too quickly! You need to cool them down quite quickly but not too quickly, so they don't have a quick drop in temperature.

tailof2rabbits wrote:
It's actually best for pet rabbits to stay indoors.
I don't agree with this at all! Sorry, but an outdoor bunny does not mean an unhappy bunny!

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Fran, I did not say outdoor bunnies are unhappy. That was a general statement about safety and well-being. And Texas and the UK have very different climates, so what applies to you doesn't necessarily apply to others either.

Sorry, its just the way you said 'pet rabbits are better indoors' isn't really true. Sorry to be brash but if you had specified that it is different in certain areas (which i fully understand) I wouldn't have made that comment. Sorry if i seemed a little bit rude about that but generally that statement isn't really true.

Fran :) :hearts

...if you had specified that it is different in certain areas...

I specifically mentioned the Texas weather in the same post. If we're speaking in terms of it being generally true or not, then I'd say yes, it is generally true. How many places in the world can claim mild weather? Compare that to the rest of it who are either too cold or too hot for even humans to live comfortably in right now.

If they live and sleep outdoors, they're exposed to the elements. And they're lucky if it's just that. There are stray dogs, cats, and other predators. If your rabbits are perfectly cared for outdoors, that's fantastic. Your rabbits are very lucky. But you should also know that's not the case with most rabbit owners out there.

Basically, you have your opinion. I'll keep mine.

It is fairly cool here. I put ice packs in their cage anyways. Today they weren't shaking at all. I think they needed to get used to their new home. And with the whole indoor bunnies are better. I do think that it is hot here but I think I have it under control. I have fans, ice packs and a place where it is always shady! THanks for all the help!

Yeah, most places in the US arent safe for bunnies to live outdoors. Our weather is much more extreme than in the UK and we have a lot more predators. (However, I did just read a sickening article about some psychos in Germany taking and killing rabbits from people's yards :().

But we do what we have to do and if her parents wont allow her to keep them inside then shes doing the best she can.

Im glad they are doing a little better today. Thechange of environmentand heat could have just been making them really stressed out.

Are they all eating and pooping ok? Do they have access to unlimited hay?

Please keep us posted- I hope they will continue to be alright in their new home :)

Haley wrote:
However, I did just read a sickening article about some psychos in Germany taking and killing rabbits from people's yards :(
I hear about this kind of thing all the time. :( So always make sure outside bunnies have secure padlocks on all housing, please.

Latest posts

Back