Shadow likes giving me heart attacks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawsome_Pets

Reaction score
Shadow my only boy and *cough* favourite bunny in the world (dont tell him that!!!) decided to try and give me a heart attack by flopping into his litter tray and stop moving AND barely breathing! I had to poke him a few times until he moved....

It turned out he was just over heating from being inside and was exhausted from a big day out, once outside he starting running and binking happily :)

here's some pics of the ordeal
262117_10150707012885322_637485321_19508550_3815354_n.jpg
264376_10150707012635322_637485321_19508546_7534661_n.jpg

268706_10150707012810322_637485321_19508549_5687784_n.jpg
270118_10150707012745322_637485321_19508547_6287292_n.jpg

the white smudges are just dirt/dust - he is fully black

Our old boy Ted did that all the time. Used to check and see if he was breathing. Once at school during a fire drill, the Marshall went into the class room and thought he was dead as all the bells were going off. He was a world class sleeper and a champ at the DBF (dead bunny flop).

I've had sooo many rabbits get very good at the dead bunny impression! One week I had a rabbit doing it to me EVERY day. He'd be lying on his side, with his crown completely relaxed (erect ear bunny) so that his ears were resting on the cage floor (other rabbits usually gave it away by keeping one ear up just a bit), and not respond when my screen door slammed or I whistled until I poked him. Odd, now that I think of it, the bucks have always done it more than the girls...

Larry, that story about the fire drill is too funny! DBFs can be scary indeed. I remember when Rory did one for the first time. He was out of his cage running around and I fell asleep on the couch accidentally. Woke up some time later, looked around to find him, and there he was. Dead bunny flopped right next to the lamp's completely chewed in half electrical cord! He sure got startled when I lunged at him, screaming his name! Oh yeah, the lamp was not plugged in because I'd unplugged it for his play time but try remembering that when you just woke up and think your bunny is dead :D

Benjamin also does this, especially after eating. Like I think I hurt myself, flop, ears both back and against the groud. Sometimes he flops down so hard that he rolls over on his back, then to his side and just lays there. His eyes are usually closed, but it is really scary I know.

Holy cow, that would have freaked me out to. Specially like you said when your asleep and you first wake up it takes a few minutes to get "back together." I would have freaked too.

I would have died too. I hope i dont experience this. My little girl would not deal with it at all. Granted she is only 3 and doesn't know what death is but if we didn't have Thumper anymore she and I would be devistated (sp)

One of our other bunnies Peter loves to lay in his pan too. I've picked it up, pulled it out of his hutch, sat it on the floor, and then he looks at me as if to say, "I'm comfy and I'm not moving". He's a Chin and weighs almost 10 pounds so it's not an easy job.

My boy does the Dead Bunny Flop almost daily, but fortunately he always knows when I am looking at him and gets up. He looooves giving me a heart attack. Sometimes he flops so much that he's almost on his back and his little legs stick out in the air, those are the ones that scare me the most. It looks just like rigor mortise!

Latest posts

Back