Shadow didnt like shavings.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadows_Girl

Reaction score
So Shadow would move al his shavings around so he was just sleeping on the bottom of cage(which was cold plastic.) So now I have a nice comfy towel covering all of the bottom. He seems to love it, but he is pooping all over it now, he wont use his litter box. He is starting to now bc everytime I see poop around I put it back in the litter box. Any was I just wanted to no if any other bunnies dont like shaving to? And what u guys did as an alternative?

Shadow could be lying on the plastic because he's hot. Whats the temp. in th room he in? The plastic at the bottom was covered by shavings, so the heat did not get to it. Watch and see if he moves from on spot to another every few minutes. If he is doing this, its too hot in his room.

Most bunnies don't need shavings. They usually like Newspaper, and dont worry about shredding them. Thats the name of THEIR game.... and ONLY their game. lol. ;). My bunny has my closet all to himself. He's in the process of being litter box trained, and he's doing wonderfully at it! He has a litter box and a small green 'box like' thing, that i give him w/ newspaper to sleep in. There is nothing on the floor in my closet, either. It makes clean-up VERY easy. I just get the dustpan and scoop up any 'accidents'... and dump them into the litter box.

I dont' close the door in my closet, I have some heavy wire mesh that I lean up agaist the outside wall and he can't get out. I'll take some pictures in a minute for you.

I don't use shavings.

Pebbles sleeps on the bottom of her cage.

The tiles in the picture are used in the summer to keep her cool.

IMGA1303.jpg

Rainbows! :)

Shavings usually have an oil in them that can be an irritant to most animals. Super long (years) exposure to it can even cause breathing problems. I would suggest an alternative bedding. Newspaper isn't bad unless they are eating large quantities of it (its the ink). Also, we had a white bunny start to turn grey on us once from playing with too much newspaper (ink again). The best beddings found so far are the fluffy wood pulp kind or the pressed pellets. Both processes tend to cook the oils out of the bedding. Another bedding idea is to use hay or straw as a bedding (if straw is used, you still need to give your bunny the regular hay 24/7 to eat because straw has no nutritional value.) It would make a great bedding for comfort and edibility, though it isn't as absorbant (but is extremely warm for those outside bunnies. A nest box full of hay and an outside bunny can say "bring it on" to winter).

James

Its not to hot in my room its actually a bit cold sometimes its winter here and we are in the attic converted into a bedroom so it can get cold. But I wouldnt say its too cold or too warm even. Kinda in between. I just think he dosnt like it. So i have this really big towel coveing thats very soft and he seems to love it, it even gives him gripping when running in and out no more sliding into walls lol. I was more or less wondering what others used for thier cages and making sure my Shadow wasnt the only picky one about shavings. Those are some great ideas...And I love the closet idea! but mine is too ful to put him in. And not to mention his cage is way to big and nice not to use. Once again thnx for sharing!

Our boys each have a sheet or a big towel at the bottom of their cage, plus a grass mat, which they like to sleep and chew on. Every couple of weeks we just gather up the sheet, give it a good shake outside and wash it.

jeff

All 8 of my buns have cages with wire bottoms. Tootsie (4-5 lbs bigger than the rest)also has an area outside her cage that is penned in and has a wooden floor.

Blankies are the favorite of my buns. I also use grass mats (which usually are shredded within a few days).

They switch from resting on the blankies or mats...to resting on the plain wire bottom of the cage. Temperature seem to be a factor in this. If it's a bit warmer then they lay on the wire all flopped out.....colder temps and they're on their blankies all poofed up.

Occasionally certain buns will use their litter pan as lounges:disgust:. Hence, Binkie's nickname of "Stinkie-Binkie"! I use Woody Pet in the litter pans. ***did someone say WoodyPet??***

Mooshu and Chippy prefer sleepie boxes. Mooshu lines hers with timothy hay and fur. Chippy lines hers with blankies and fur.

Each bun is different. It was quite frustrating at first because I expected all buns to be relatively the same in their habit. NO WAY!!! By the third bun I realized they were as different as people can be.

As for shaving....... I use "kiln dried Aspen shavings". Kiln drying eliminates the harmful aromatic oils. Stay away from pine or cedar altogether.I used to use aspen shaving in the drop pans of the cages, but just recently stopped, because the buns are all litter trained and it wasn't necessary anymore (saving $$).

I also used to use newspaper, but my white buns were always in need of having their feet cleaned. As most newsprint inks are soy-based, so they are deemed to be safe.

~Jim

Hey guys. Shadow has started sherdding the towel, the part thats outside the bars. Is this ok or can he get hurt in anyway? Meaning can he choke on the strings thats commin out? If so I gotta come up with a new idea lol.

I would take it away. He could hurt himself if he eats it. You don't really have to put anything on the floor. If you want something, try a straw mat. That way if he eats some of it he won't get hurt.

Definatly take the towel away! It can cuase digestion problems if he actually swallos a peice.. I was going to warn you about that towel when I saw that post. It can also get cuaght in his throat!! Just use some newspaper.

Back