Sexing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breeders can tell from quite an early age ususally, though sometimes you will get the awkward kit who can't make up their mind if they are a boy or a girl. ;)

I think from around 6 weeks you can be quite sure - when Berri had her litter I thought they were girls from 4 or 5 weeks as far as I can remember. Checked every week and they didn't change.

I'll move this to the Rabbitry and Showing section where you'll get a more experienced repsonse. :)

We can usually tell around 3 weeks of age... but you'll get some gender benders that are wacked by the gender fairy and change... Usually by 6 weeks, you can be sure... 99.999999 % of the time.

(We had a Junior Mini Rex, 15 weeks old, that was shown as a doe in two shows... even got a leg! Three weeks later, Cindy Wickizer (judge) DQ'd "her" for being in the wrong class... it was a BUCK! Go figure!)

edited to include does age...

we usually start looking at 3 weeks but they tend to change so we get a better idea at about 5 weeks but we still keep checking :p

At the mo i have a litter of 5 does and a litter of 2 bucks !

I hope there's a doe in the litter:?if there isn't I wont be able to keep one. People are starting to ask about them now and most are interested in the blue one, but thats my fave!:(I really don't no what to do, my dad said I can keep a doe, but I don't no what sex they are and I dont want to turn people away so I can get first choice and then when there 8weeks no one is interested. Did that make any sence?

you could probably tell from about 5/6 weeks old if your unsure you can get a good rabbit vet to check for you. the people who are interested in a kit at the moment if they want one that bad then they willl stay interested. black buns are normally overlooked so thats probably why everyone wants the blue. i hope you find them great homes :)

Well, you could wait until they're about...oh...three or four months or so....and the ones with the pink hangy things are boys, and the ones without them are probably girls!

Or, you could pull up the "vent" area to see if a penis will protrude, or if it's a vulva. A vulva has more of a "slit" opening, and sort of resemble a penis, but the penis looks like...a penis. If you're lucky the females will be in the "receptive" mood and be a dark pink.

There's also feeling around to see if you can feel the scrotum. That's usually not the best way to do it though.

Could you maybe get some pictures of them down there, Hannah? Then maybe some people would be able to give you a good idea (though it's hard to be sure unless the pictures are very clear.) :)

clear pictures and me dont really go in the same sentence:)I really need to find my camera, the camera on my phones rubbish! I'll wait till their 4 weeks then post some pics of their.. bits :DThanks for the advice guys.

Latest posts

Back