Sexing Kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitLover94

Reaction score
I attempted to sex 9 kits when they were 5 days old. I came up with 5 girls and 4 boys and marked the suspected girls with a red marker in one ear. Now, at 2 weeks, I've checked again, and I was RIGHT!!I have 5 girls and 4 boys, and the ones that came up as girls today all have a red mark in one ear! =D

The first time I had to sex kits, they were three weeks old and I still had some difficulties. This was only my second time ever sexing baby rabbits, and I correctly sexed 5 day old kits!!!

Sorry, I'm just a bit excited and felt I had to share. Expecially since no one in my family wants to hear a thing about my rabbits...Lol!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

WTG!! That is awesome. I checked mine every few days until I could figure it out so that as I get the practice in, I can sex them at atleast a week.

T.A. - Some people can tell at that young of an age. ;)

I can usually get a good guess at 3 days, and then by 3 weeks I sex again and have it down, but I also have my 4-H leader double check in case I'm hesitant.

If you know what you're looking for, it should be no problem to try sexing them at 5 days old, or even younger. ;) You just have to keep checking as they get older in case one decides to flip on you. ;)

Emily

I get really excited when I am right about the sexes too. I am really trying to figure out how to tell when they are just a few days old. Good Job!

Thanks! They are now three weeks old so I double checked and everyone is still the same sex they were at 5 days! =) Lol!

My next litter will be born in November. Now that I got 5 day olds right, I'm going to try for even younger this time. =)

How do you sex them at this age? :) I would love to write my guesses down...

I tried to check my latest litter at a few days old but I didn't get a chance as every single of the three little ones started peeing all over my hands. David was rolling around laughing as I stood there holding peeing babies over the sink:biggrin2:

Sabine wrote:
I tried to check my latest litter at a few days old but I didn't get a chance as every single of the three little ones started peeing all over my hands. David was rolling around laughing as I stood there holding peeing babies over the sink:biggrin2:

I tried by just looking closely and one of them made a puddle on my pants. SMELLYY!!!! The kit grunted and fell asleep...

timbaland wrote:
I noticed that with the bucks, the penis folded over and with the does, the vulva folded under. Can't really figure out how to explain it better......

RabbitLover94 wrote:
timbaland wrote:
I noticed that with the bucks, the penis folded over and with the does, the vulva folded under. Can't really figure out how to explain it better......
Hmmmmm. Trying to...uh...errmm. Nope, not getting it. Error 404: Not found. Lol!

My current theory is that the males baby genitals look longer and the females look more round, almost like a little ball, but it hasn't proven itself true yet. I have a litter right now that I am testing it on.

lelanatty wrote:
My current theory is that the males baby genitals look longer and the females look more round, almost like a little ball, but it hasn't proven itself true yet. I have a litter right now that I am testing it on.

LOL! I'll test it with you. :B

timbaland wrote:
lelanatty wrote:

LOL! I'll test it with you. :B
Alright! How old are your babies right now?

A few years ago - when I started breeding lionheads - I knew another lionhead breeder who was getting started in them too. With one litter - she honestly couldn't tell by 3 or 4 weeks of age and she wanted to know - so she took them to the vet (she was taking another rabbit in for a checkup).

The vet charged her $10 each....and out of the four...it turns out he got...

NONE correct.

Two weeks later - every single one was the exact opposite of what he said it was. I still laugh over that.

I don't really try to check the babies for their gender till they're at least 3 weeks old now...although I will admit that with flemish giants- the ones that are born with the big heads are GENERALLY males - 99% of the time. (Guess what...this last litter had a female with a nice big head...I LOVE that 1%!!!!)

When I got started in rabbits a long time breeder told me that if you pick up the babies and they pee straight out they are a buck and if they dribble they are a doe. So far it has proven true.

I usually wait until they are out of the nestbox before I try and sex them.

Roger

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
When I got started in rabbits a long time breeder told me that if you pick up the babies and they pee straight out they are a buck and if they dribble they are a doe. So far it has proven true.

I usually wait until they are out of the nestbox before I try and sex them.

Roger
oh yeah....thats true too.....I've had more than one buck pee directly at me...and sometimes I've been known to take a damp paper towel to the rabbits to see how they pee and help me make a guess.

Latest posts

Back