Sexing Babies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
Ok guys, how do I sex the babies when they are so darn wiggly? :D
They are so active and wiggly lol, bless them, I managed to take a look at two and I think they were two does, not sure though.
Any help with sexing would be appreciated!

Well you need firm grip, not to hard but not to soft. After a few years and sexing babies the same day they are born you learn how to do it. I find sexing them is harder when they are 2 weeks old... but yeah.

Could you get someone to help that will not make their eyes bug out from trying to contain them? :p Us bunny people need 3 arms, I swear we do!

Thanks, ya I might be able to get someone to help!
They are three weeks so are very wiggly and fast! I am afraid of them breaking their neck or back when they are wiggling and trying to turn over, so I just let them turn over so I can't sex them.
Any tips on holding them on their backs safely guys? What do you breeders do?

I have not sexed an older baby rabbit in a year, I know how I do it but can not explain it, but I promise they will not break that easily. Just hold them in your left hand on their backs so they can not move much, bum facing away from you is how I do it, and use your right hand to check. Maybe someone else can help better. If I had a smaller rabbit I would show you but Cartmen is so big now. He is almost 3 months old and already the size of my adult netherland buck.

Thanks, I just took a look there but I really couldn't tell what was what their 'bits' are so small I can't tell if they have circles or slits or what! To me they look like they are all girls with the possibility of one or two boys.
If anyone had pictures that would be great, I can only find pictures for older buns.

Ya I checked it out, when I looked at the pictures I could tell straight away what was a buck and what was a doe but my babies aren't that clear at all.

Well if you can not tell my looking, as I even find it a little hard sometimes, I have learned to watch for the *pop*. The females just gently come out but the males POP out fast. Wish I could come help ya xD

Thanks, I wish you could too!
I'll check it out again in a few days, they are four weeks on Thursday.

By this age, it should still be relatively obvious. Bucks will have a little round tube that pops out, whereas females will just kind of stretch into a slit. :)

Hmm well I'm finding it difficult, unless I really do have all girls. I'll check them out again I suppose.

Checked again and thought all the agoutis were bucks and all the blacks were does, checked again and wasn't so sure so ya I have no idea :expressionless

Thank you! What age were they when you took those? I think I may have all does then, because none of them pop out like that.

When we had babies a couple of months ago we tracked who we thought was a girl and who were boys. at 4 weeks of age we thought we had figured it out but at 6 weeks some had changed lol:) We had a little girl bun named George haha. By 5-6 weeks you should be able to tell for sure who is what :)

My babies were between 6 and 8 weeks old. I dont have a calendar in front of me so I cant say for certain but they were young.

Latest posts

Back