Sexing a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiledreamlove

Reaction score
Hope this is the right section to post this in, sorry if it's not. We rescued two rabbits from a bad lifestyle awhile ago and they've taken quite an effort to tolerate us. Normally we only get one great day out of weeks of "give me food or I'll eat you" kind of behaviour from them, and so it's taken awhile but I've finally found this forum, got inspired to try again and brought them inside to do their clipping routine.

I'm interested in finding out the sex of this particular rabbit. Our dark chocolatey coloured on is a female, and they were said to both be male. But after checking out pictures upon pictures, I've noticed that she has the "pyramid" from the side and a slit, so deemed her female. However with this bunny I had troubles telling.

2epix47.jpg

Also, I know nothing about breeds, and not only do I know nothing about what they were fed (we've tried to cut sugary things like carrots out of their diets) but I have no clue what breeding they are or if they should have lumps under their necks.

10wocuq.jpg

and

2re5kpj.jpg

Any help?!
If I've posted this in the wrong section, please let me know and I'll ask to move it to the appropriate one :)

Haha thank you! I thought she too was female, but didn't want to make a judgement! This is grand, my baby rabbit I'm getting next week is a female and I was told if she was around males later in life she might get sexually frustrated haha... she'll be living indoors but out to have grass in her own hutch when much older. Brilliant :)

The two bunnies are netherland dwarf rabbits, I'm pretty sure of that. And Crystal is right. Typically only female rabbits in the smaller breeds get dewlaps, that's what the "lumps under their necks" are called. Also I don't see any testicles around there, unless the rabbit is fixed.

Thank you! I was hoping they were dwarf rabbits, I tried so hard to figure what they were, but didn't want to seem like an idiot and assume!
I was so worried they were something to do with their ill diet beforehand, but I'm glad to know they're just "little rabbit boobs" haha!

Thank you everyone!

The rabbits appear to be some type of mixes. From the photo, the rabbit appears to be a youngbuck (donut) - although the photo isn't very clear. If you see a complete circle protruding, it's a buck. Bucks can also get dewlaps, although they are generally more prominent in does.

If it is a buck he must be fixed then as our darker one has never fallen pregnant. Before us, the family we rescued them from had them for a year at least and never had babies. And the people they got them off said they were both male. I'm new to rabbits but from what I've followed, the chocolate one is definitely a doe.

Thanks again!

The pyramid and slit thing is what I go by when sexing does, the males are more of a tiny straw w/ a circle not a slit. The dewlaps are more of a giveaway to me, as they don't appear obese to where a buck would have "man boobs." LOL

Latest posts

Back