Several questions about housing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnamommy

Reaction score
I have bought a 48" Long X 30" Wide X 32" High dog crate for my soon to be bunny and I was wondering if this would be big enough for a singleton? I do eventually plan on getting 2 would this still be enough room?

Can I connect 2? Not undoing them I am talking about putting the openings together and hooking them together some how is this possible?

And until my bunny is potty trained how can I keep the bedding inside along with her urine and pellets?

And also I saw some cage liners for rabbits would those be okay or not a good idea I know just because something says it's for bunnies doesn't always mean that it's good for them thanks!

It is a good size and much bigger than most cages out there. If you do get 2 rabbits, you could add a level to that cage and it should provide enough room for 2.

You can try putting some cardboard up around the edge to keep the bedding it in. However, it would be better to not use shavings or stuff like that in the whole cage as it can confuse the rabbit on where it is supposed to pee and poop. You can still put something up around the edge if you want. Fleece or towels can good to provide some comfort and are much cheaper than buying bedding all the time. You do need to be careful as some rabbits will chew them.
Cage liners are not really needed. They are probably more of a hassle and expense not to mention the possible risks of the rabbit chewing it. It is pretty easy to just scoop or sweep out the poops and put them in a garbage bag rather than have the liners.

It really depends how much time out they get. If it's just for overnight and the occasional few hours whilst your out then that's fine. If they'll be in there most of the time with just a few hours exercise then you need to go bigger to compensate.

You can link multiple crates together or you might want to attach a puppy pen, that way you can fold it up out of the way when not in use.

if you get a second, you can always attach an x-pen, or use nic cubes to make a run around the kennel to give them more room to stretch their legs. either option would be easier (and cheaper) than trying to connect two kennels.

putting litter all over the cage actually makes it hard to litter train. only put the litter in the litter box. you can lay down fleece blankets or small rugs, or leave the bottom bare. if you use blankets, you can just wash them as needed. if you leave it bare, just use a paper towel to clean up pee and toss that in to the litter box, so the bun gets the idea that *that's* where pee goes. as for the poops, they are super easy to clean up. if any escape the kennel, just sweep or vacuum them up.

Back