Serious Bonding Problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroGoes Thump

Reaction score
My two bunnies both males both un neutered (hoping to get them neutered soon)

both same age...

Aero came first then came Thumper.. for the first week they did amazing, lying down next to each other, grooming each other.. then I went away and my dad forgot to bond them, when I came back I gave them a break from bonding then started again soon. Thumper then began to hump Aero, next session no humping but fighting, Aero was ripping chunks of fur out of Thumper.

I want them to bond so bad but will they be able to?

Please please help!

Jj

It is extremely unlikely they will bond until they are neutered. The more they fight before neutering the less likely it will ever work. Rabbits tend to hold a grudge. I would keep them seperated, but possibly so they can see/smell each other (cages at least 3 inches apart so no one gets bit through the bars) until they are neutered and have time for the hormones to settle out.

One more piece of info that might be helpful, I read on the House Rabbit Society website that once you start the bonding process, you should never separate them because you will have to start all over again if you do.

I agree that they should be fixed before you begin again though, unneutered males can be very aggressive because of their hormones, and they can do real damage to each other or you, for that matter.

I started bonding my spayed female (Willow) with a neutered male (Cedar) over a month ago, and because Willow was so territorial and dramatic when I brought Cedar home, I have had to slow things down and now I just have their cages and pens right next to each other at night, and during the day, Willow is outside in the run next to Cedar's indoor pen, but I leave the curtain open so they can see each other, and just the screen door closed so they can hear and smell each other too. I am working to get her to accept him as her neighbor first, then will move on to bonding again in the same space.

Laura, that is true. Once they are bonded they should never be seperated because it might break their bond. Tonight Becky is going to the vet for a check. Indy is going along as moral support so they don't risk smelling "different" and getting into a fight.

Latest posts

Back