Separation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelsons_Mom

Reaction score
Hey all,
I apologize in advance for how long this is going to be, but I REALLY NEED ADVICE.

I used to LIVE on this forum in high school. Fall of 2009, I went away to college and my three buns stayed at home with my mom and sister taking care of them.

However, recently, conflict has began to occur.

Lillian and Beetle were litter mates and I "saved" them from the pet store to take them to the vet when I noticed how dehydrated they were and what terrible diarrhea they had nearly four years ago. I had planned on finding the two a new home once I nursed them back to health and got them spayed (I did not trust people enough to rehome rabbits that were not fixed). However, my mom convinced me to bond them to my male, Nelson, who at the time was a little over one and also fixed so he would not be lonely when I was away.

The bonding went well, until, two weeks ago, Lillian and Beetle started fighting, leaving them both with bite marks and wool everywhere (both are Jersey Woolies.) My mom separated them and has tried to gradually introduce them back together twice with no success. Both have recently been to the vet and have no health problems, or match any other reason I have read for this to be happening.

This is just escalating a problem that my parents have been feeling: They do not want the rabbits anymore. It was always the deal that I would take the rabbits as soon as I had room for them (They are in a 6X8 indoor run right now, and living in a postage-sized college apartment does not compete.) However, this is just adding to the stress of them and I have been considering rehoming. While they have plenty of room, toys, and proper nutrition, they do not get much attention put away in my childhood bedroom.

But, now that it is clear that the girls will not be living together anymore and Nelson is very nervous around them (no doubt, having witnessed the violence from both of them), I was wondering if it would be best to find both of the girls new homes (which I had always intended to do) and take Nelson with me (he is my BABY. Before the girls, he used to sleep in my bed with me at night and I cannot imagine anyone else having him).

I just feel like such a TERRIBLE PARENT for considering giving them away. I am very pro-rescue and I never thought I would be in the position of surrendering, even if I find the new home on my own. I cannot imagine having to put that down on an adoption application every time I get a new pet in the future. I feel like I failed, but I also feel by not giving them a second chance, I also failed.

What would you do in my position?

I might consider living off-campus. Frankly, at 4 years old, they'd be hard to re-home. I know when I was looking for a rabbit & eventually got Honey, I wouldn't have taken one that old. If your parents could get another xpen & fasten it to the rest & divide in 2, one bigger than the rest with Nelson & the more calm one of the girls in it, I'd hope they'd be ok until school gets out & then you could take charge.

I live off of campus, student rentals are just small. I also live up here year round, which is another reason I have considered rehoming.

The x-pen is currently divided into to, with Nelson going back and forth between the two girls halves.

While I understand that their age might be a concern, they're barely middle aged! They have a lot of life left in them, yet.

Latest posts

Back