Separation of Bonded Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boz

Reaction score
I just had a random question come to me.

If for some reason a bonded pair had to be separated for a short time (like medical reason, etc.) how long would be too long before you'd have to reintroduce them with a split cage, etc?

Like, if gerbils are separated more then 24 hours it's better to do a split cage and reintroduce. How long would it be for bunnies?

Thanks! :)

it would totally be dependent on the individual rabbits. Some rabbits would need to be rebonded ; others wouldn't . there is no way to tell unless you have separated them before.

Yes, I agree it would be dependent on individual rabbits. You would have to go through the normal bonding process again but hopefully it would be quicker. I have found though, that when I have to separate them, if I keep swapping the hutches they are in and their contents, then they stay used to the smell and that makes it really easy to reintroduce.

I had my two Dopeys separated for a month and they went back together so easily. I had Cloud separated from the Dopeys for 4 months and he went back in really easily too. Having said that Sunny was separated from Dawn and Hope for a couple of days and the boys went loopy, but a car journey sorted them right out.

Than you have some bunnies that never rebond. It is a dangerous thing to seperate them, you run the risk of them never bonding again. If possible I would try to leave them together if possible.

Latest posts

Back