Separating your rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyJuneAngel

Reaction score
I see that many of you have several rabbits and a lot of them have to be caged separately and sometimes in different parts of the house even. I'm not really sure how to ask, but how does this make you feel? I hate having my animals separated. It makes me nervous when I have to worry about whether these two or those two will get along, etc. Mine have always stayed together as much as possible (aside from keeping the male and female in a single but divided cage). After some re-homing and rearranging we are down to 3 rabbits. We have teenaged sisters from one litter and their younger brother from the next litter. The girls are bonded and I want to try to bond them to their brother as well.

My cats and dogs all get along and they all like the rabbits so the thought of having to keep the rabbits separate when all of the other animals share the same space at the same time bothers me. We had an issue once with a dog that couldn't live with our other dog or with the cats. We had to re-home her because it was too much for me trying to separate them and work out the logistics all the time of where each dog/cat would be so as to not end up with a fight on my hands. They had a few bloody fights before we re-homed one of them and it was extremely stressful on me. If my rabbits were to get into such a fight, I'm afraid I would have to find new homes for them too.

So far, it looks like it will be easy enough to bond Thumper to his sisters. They have been caged side by side before, with just a NIC panel in between them. They groomed each other through the wires (both girls took turns grooming their brother) and they laid side by side for a good amount of time. Hunny got ticked off and began thumping (first time I've ever heard/seen her thump) so I thought maybe she was irritated with Thumper and I moved him to his old enclosure in a different room (he's so sad in there by himself!). He was obviously not the problem as she continued to thump for a few hours making it known that she was ticked off. In retrospect, I think she was trying to get some attention. My daughter usually does all the bunny chores and plays with them every day and she was away for the night so I think Hunny felt neglected. The first chance that the girls got to roam the living room they went straight to Thumper's enclosure and sat against his gate talking to him and nuzzling him. They haven't been together in shared space recently but they all run in the same areas when they are out of their cages so their scents are all over and no one has tried marking either (though Thumper may not be old enough for that yet).

When we are home, I would like to be able to have all 3 rabbits out with free run of the downstairs. We have 2 dogs (a german shepherd and a westie) and 3 cats who also have free run of the space. Do you think its just a pipe dream or can larger groups of rabbits live together peacefully? We don't plan on more than the 3 and I have heard of bonded trios so I am hopeful. I just can't stand the idea of having to take turns letting the rabbits out. There are only so many hours in the day and having to take turns with them means a lot less exercise time, not to mention a lonely Thumper in a cage all by himself.

All but one of our rabbits aren't fixed so this is why ours are separated. I haven't tried my hand at bonding yet but I have read rabbits can be very picky and hold grudges. Bunny fights are no bueno and if two rabbits fight every time they get together I would definitely feel better about keeping them apart.

I have heard of people having colonies although I would never do it I have heard of it being successful.

All of our rabbits run around with any non rabbit furry member of the household or at least those that will behave.

We are definitely keeping ours apart until they are fixed. Thumper isn't old enough to make babies yet but I don't want to take chances because it was hard enough to find good homes for the kits we did end up with.

A colony would be nice. :) I would like them all together as much as possible. I think it's just my personality though. As a kid we had a goat that lived inside the house with us, our cats and dogs. None of our animals were ever separated other than hamsters or birds and the hamsters were still out in their little balls as often as possible.

Well mine are seperated but not isolated or anything. Oreo lives in the living room and Bugsy too (right across from eachother kinda). If I get them too close Bugsy starts a peeing spree and its gross. Yesterday though.. Oreo started spraying too :( She would binky then pee pee, GROSS! I dont feel bad about it, but I would feel a lot better if they were bonded. We'll get there.

I think that, once everyone is fixed, that they can live together. However, no matter how well behaved a dog, one can never trust them unsupervised with a rabbit so that would be my major concern about the rabbits and having free run 24/7 with the other animals.

The only time the rabbits are out with the dogs are when we are home and supervising. Right now, for example. The German Shepherd is laying by my feet. Thumper is hopping around the living room and the Westie is trying to eat Thumper's pellets. LOL My old cat is sleeping curled up by the German Shepherd and the other two cats are alternately playing with Thumper and the Westie. The girls were out this morning for almost 4 hours and it was pretty much the same except they kept ending up next to Thumper's enclosure with all of them laying against the gate next to one another.

Latest posts

Back