Separating rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rowan wrote:
Thanks all of you

I'll just build my extra cages and hopeI don't need them! Athing I'm wondering is are rabbits like cats in that fights are a lotless likely if they aren't too evenly matched, ie if one is obviouslymuch more dominant and generally in charge as opposed to them beingfairly equal in personality traits? I'm just curious as I haven't gotmuch idea yet of rabbits' natural social hierarchy. This is afterthey're neutered of course, guess before that hormones will overridemost things!
I believe they are Rowan, if one is less dominent and the more dominentone can "win" the top spot fairly easy without a fight from anotherrabbit, fights are a lot less likely to occur. When I got Spice, he wasa lot smaller and is a month younger than my other boy, Mocha, so Mochaeasily took the top spot, but when Spice got bigger and hit the "teenyears" they started fighting. I would also like to point out that ifit's a big cage then fighting is something avoided because each rabbitcan have it's over territory, not always does this work but in somecases it does. I noticed in the past few months exactly how territorialmy rabbits are, they will live with eachother through wire because theyhave their own territory the other cannot invade, but they take timeeach day to go around and mark it by "chinning" or spraying on occasion.

That's useful to know. It is a big cage, evenwhen I divide it up into boys and girls in a couple of weeks they'llall still have a decent sized level to themselves if they want, andBunberry, the black boy, is very much in charge of everything at themoment, especially the food which is his favourite thing in the world.But I'll have other cages ready in case.

Back