separating bonded bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sarah, what kind of housing did you have them in?

I may have said this before, but I'm not a fan of splitting up quibbling rabbits, althoughI do think they need a set-up where one can get away from the other.

When I got Sherry, I kept her away from Dill, but shealways seemed to get into the living room where Dill had free range. She'd pursue him, and he'dpromptly tell her to get lost by at first really fighting, later byjust by chasing her off,butonly for a few feet. Then they'd each go on their way and ignore each other. I eventually ended up letting them both have run of the house, and trusted them not to do too much damage to one another.

I walked in one day after three weeks of this and they were snuggling on the couch. :shock: They are now a happy and very loving couple --until I put them in a cage together. Dill, who has a cage phobia to begin with, beats the crap out of Sherry, I have to pull her out of there.I can however put them in a pen together as long as I have multiple levels, hidey boxes (with an entrance and side or back exit) and/or a tunnel or two.

I also had Sugar and Sekura here for a few months --mother and daughter. When they arrived, Sugar had largepatches of hair missing. It turned out that they were in a small cage together and were fighting. They contintued to fight, even in a pen with a shelf. They didn't stop until I put in TWOshelfs. They'd chase eachother, butgive upafter some 'deeking andleaping.' Then they stopped altogether.

Radar immediately fell in love with Darry when they first met, but Darry really bullied the poor little guy. I thought about separating them -- Radar seemed so miserable -- but I kept them together because the majorityof the time they were sleeping together and cuddling.Again, I just made sure there was a lot of space. They're in a small porch, but they have all sorts of places to go -- a platform they can be on or under, a cabinet they can jump up on, etc. It's been a year, now, the bullying has stopped. They're very happily married.

I've learned to not get too panickedwith chasing, mountingand hair-pulling.

Hope it works out for your guys.

sas :clover:

Latest posts

Back