Separate?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnykinz

Reaction score
My 2 bucks are approaching a year old. They have lived happily together since they were 6 wks. I'm planning on getting them neutered within the next month or 2.
They occasionally chase each other around their cage and mount each other, but no fights have broken out. My Netherland Dwarf has developed a scab on one shoulder and I am wondering if it's because of how the other bun grabs him when he mounts him?
Should I separate them and rebond them after they get neutered so his shoulder can heal up without irritations or should I keep them together the whole time? I'm putting Neosporin on it and I'm hoping the other bun doesn't bother it too much.

Well, in my opinion, it's better to separate them but not the whole time. Do you keep them in the same cage during night time ? Maybe separate them during that time, to prevent them from accidentally hurting each other, besides his wound will heal quicker too. Then when you are around, they can be together. Good luck on the neutering :)

Yes it's around $100 here. There are in the same cage 24/7 and the most aggressive they've ever gotten was when the chase each other around and around if that helps any. The cage is large so they have some space. I'll consider separating them at night, I'm just worried they'll fight if we separate them for a little bit then put them back together.

Well, you know what best for your babies :) If they don't hurt each other or fight against each other, then I think it's fine to continue letting them be together for 24/7 too. How's his wound ? Is it healing well ? Yes, the operation's cost is quite pricey. I understand that. It's quite expensive here too, but it's so nice that you plan to get them neutered. It's best for their health :)

Nice talking to you :)

Hi, if it was me I wouldn't separate them. Just keep doing what you are doing keeping a close eye on them.

I would definitely get them neutered at the same time. I have brought one of my bunnies who is bonded to a vet on it's own when she was sick. OMG their bond broke and it took me almost 3 months to rebond them. Actually that was when I first joined RO. I got very good advice from everyone but especially Buck Jones (Rest In Peace Buck).

Susan:)

Ok! The wound is just a scab and I'm putting Neosporin on it everyday. Yeah I've heard that un-neutered rabbits that live outside have an average lifespan of 1 year. That's WAYY too short!!! :shock: Yes, I will get them neutered together, and I'll keep them together as well!!!! :biggrin:

He still has a scab on his shoulder, but now I think he's developing a new one on his neck a bit higher. What do I do???????!!!!:panic:

I'd separate them at night, but let them play together during the day supervised. If you keep their cages side by side, I don't think they'll suddenly forget each other!

Then try to get them neutered sooner than later.

Hope that helps!

Rue

ok... or maybe during the day time when they are together put in a partial divider so they have to go around it and maybe have their own space?

There's just 2 small scabs. No open ones. I am going to put in a partial divider in during the day time so maybe it will help with the chasing?

If you see any more wounds then it might be best to separate them at night but let their cages be right next to each other, and you can watch them during the day when they're together. I found out that even does can have this problem.

They're in a hutch and we don't have any cages. We can easily separate them at night though which I think I will do.

Latest posts

Back