SENSITIVE TOPIC

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyFarmBunnies

Reaction score
Now that I have the rabbits all to myself on my property, this is the first time I'm having to deal with this. I had a GIANT Max Factor kit stillborn this morning, Holland lop. (Happily, five healthy babies.) How do I dispose of it in a humane way? Waste pick-up does not come until Thursday and I don't want it to smell, and that also seems cruel to me. I threw my back out yesterday so I can't bury it myself, I'd have to wait until my brother gets home later today. How do you do it?

We use ziploc bags i actually just had to take out four dead this morning.

Also if you have live kits that you know wont make it and they are small enough to fit into a ziploc (we do it for 14days old and below) we put them in a ziploc and into the freezer andshut the door. We sadly tried drowning when we were new to rabbits. Yea we wont ever do that again it didnt work until my friend told me about the freezer way. Much better.

I also have a question since mine just had the four dead when are you going to rebreed? I cant remember if its wait a couple days, one week, or two weeks

Sorry to hear about your loss as well, Sarah. Once the dead kits are in the ziploc bags, do you bury them or what?

I'm of the opinion that I like to let nature take its course with peanut, max factors, etc. so I don't remove anything until it has passed naturally. My problem is, what to do with it now.

As for rebreeding, I am so incredibly fortunate that my doe delivered five healthy kits after the giant. As for yours, I would wait a week before rebreeding. Some say do it right away but that's too harsh IMO--most does, I find, need some time to come down from the delivery.

I had to put them in the can in our garage but you could freeze them until waste comes so they dont start decomposing. Burial could also be fine as long as nothing would dig them up.

I understand about letting them go naturally. Sadly those that we wanted to euthanize might have lived but their legs were mangeled by our dog after the bun had them on the wire. Learned alot of lessons that time including not to trust vets opinions of pregnancy and put a neatbox in no matter what.

And thank you. Ill wait a week and yea she hasnt even cleaned herself yet so her butt is all bloody. This was my moms polish litter but thankfully my tan had four little ones too

This thread was closed by the RO Staff due to the controversy concerning freezing as a form of euthanasia.

If the kit (or other rabbit) has died, then it would be okay to put it on ice until it can be properly disposed of (burying, cremation, etc.).

:pray:

However....

Freezing is not considered a humane form of euthanasia. 
The AVMA and IACUC
do not recognize it as an acceptable means.
The extremities freeze before death, and it can be very painful.

Euthanasia is defined as a pain-free and/or stress-free death. 
There are very specific humane
methods that meet the definition of euthanasia. 
Freezing is not on that list.

Please refer to: http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_welfare/euthanasia.pdf

Rabbitry Resources (at the top of this subforum) - Euthanization http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=50846&forum_id=12

Back