Sensitive stomach

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormybun

Reaction score
My bun seems to have an abnormally sensitive stomach, and I’m just having trouble dealing with it the right way. I always notice cecotropes on the floor at least every other day. There also tend to be some moments where she loses interest in her treats and keeps to herself or sits uncomfortably in her litter box. Though that isn’t a common occurrence, I think it’s important to note.
(She’s currently dealing with one of these occurrences, and I’m just really tired of seeing her like that. I want her to be happy and comfortable. She did eat a digestive cookie though.)

She has 24/7 access to timothy hay, and she has a good amount of space to exercise. I’m moving her to completely free roam soon. She has lots of toys as well, but she’s never been interested in them for some reason. She prefers forage mats, stacking cups, and cardboard panels from cat houses.

She gets a 1/8 cup of pellets every night, about a cup or less of veggies (typically spring mix or red lettuce/romaine with various herbs.)

She hardly ever gets fruit, as a small piece typically ends in disaster.

The treats she usually gets are oxbow Timothy treats, oxbow peppermint treats, and oxbow natural science digestive support.

If anyone has any advice on how to reduce digestive issues, please tell me! I'm tired of seeing her dealing with an upset tummy. :(

If she's sensitive to fruit, she probably shouldn't be fed those oxbow supplements/treats either. She may also need other foods removed from the diet. Have you ever tried removing all high carb/sugary foods from the diet, tried a no pellet diet, or an elimination diet where you gradually remove foods from the diet to discover which foods are causing the issues? Where you may only be free feeding good quality grass hay for a time to get the digestive microflora balanced again, before trying to add foods back in one at a time.

I've had buns that had to be on very strict diets due to digestive sensitivities. Almost always it was the high carb/sugary foods and pellets that caused the digestive issues and had to be restricted. They were on a no pellet or high carb/treat diet, and were on free fed grass hay and select greens/forage only.

One rabbit would show signs of stomach upset within 30 minutes of eating just a pinch of pellets, so they were completely removed from his diet. Before this he was constantly getting GI stasis. Once pellets and treats were removed, he never had problems with digestive upset again.

Latest posts

Back