Senior Rabbit soft pellets only diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hi everyone hope you are well! My rabbit has a diet of pellets softened in water quickly draining water off to avoid them going sludgy. This diet due to dental issues and not being an hay eater sadly! I wondered if anyone else has had a rabbit with just pellets only? I feed him a small handful 4/5 times a day! He’s been on these for 12 months. His poo has been much better no sticky bum etc. Just wondered what others experiences are snd share tips, he has a grape daily too.pic is him waiting for his food.

Attachments

• 65807990-A4E5-4625-BD1B-E620BFF716B8.jpeg
    65807990-A4E5-4625-BD1B-E620BFF716B8.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 9
  • C26655F0-6298-4EFB-B29C-8917121351C3.jpeg
    C26655F0-6298-4EFB-B29C-8917121351C3.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 5
Hi everyone hope you are well! My rabbit has a diet of pellets softened in water quickly draining water off to avoid them going sludgy. This diet due to dental issues and not being an hay eater sadly! I wondered if anyone else has had a rabbit with just pellets only? I feed him a small handful 4/5 times a day! He’s been on these for 12 months. His poo has been much better no sticky bum etc. Just wondered what others experiences are snd share tips, he has a grape daily too.pic is him waiting for his food.
Hey
I'm so sorry I only have experience with that with guinea pigs ! He's so cute though! Xx

I had a very precious bunny, River, who had no incisors and severe dental issues. She could eat pellets but could not eat hay. What I did to ensure her gut health was grind hay in a coffee grinder. I then would soften the pellets to a mush and add the ground hay, so she would still get the fiber of the hay. I fed it to her with a baby spoon 3 times a day. This was in addition to her regular allotment of pellets, which she was able to eat dry. You don't want to grind the hay into a complete powder, but make it into small pieces that don't require much chewing.

I had a very precious bunny, River, who had no incisors and severe dental issues. She could eat pellets but could not eat hay. What I did to ensure her gut health was grind hay in a coffee grinder. I then would soften the pellets to a mush and add the ground hay, so she would still get the fiber of the hay. I fed it to her with a baby spoon 3 times a day. This was in addition to her regular allotment of pellets, which she was able to eat dry. You don't want to grind the hay into a complete powder, but make it into small pieces that don't require much chewing.
What a good idea I will look at that

Hey could you grind it In a blender ? That could be helpful for my guinea pig who was a mainly softened pellet diet

Hey could you grind it In a blender ? That could be helpful for my guinea pig who was a mainly softened pellet diet

I doubt a blender would work. It will either cause the coarseness to be inconsistent(too much powder) or the soft grass could wrap around and bind up the blades(depending on the blender type).

There are plain grass hay pellets available, that are just chopped grass hay compressed into large size pellets, though do double check the ingredient list. They're usually sold at farm stores and maybe online(try amazon?), as a feeding option for horses. Or galens garden website sells different forage pellets made for rabbits.

does he eat any veggies?
i use 100% timothy hay pellets for my senior whos a horrible hay eater (even after a molar trim)
here's some links:
Timothy Pellets 4 lb - 100% All Natural, High Fiber, Sun Cured Timothy Hay Grass Food & Treat - Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chinchillas, Degus, Prairie Dogs, Tortoises, Hamsters, Gerbils, Rats & Small Pets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY9NHQG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZTKYA42S4Y6S2Z8T8HJF
Standlee Hay Company Timothy Pellets, 40 lb https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1OZ7I8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_86WRG7J4QTMB1WAJF6A8

I doubt a blender would work. It will either cause the coarseness to be inconsistent(too much powder) or the soft grass could wrap around and bind up the blades(depending on the blender type).

There are plain grass hay pellets available, that are just chopped grass hay compressed into large size pellets, though do double check the ingredient list. They're usually sold at farm stores and maybe online(try amazon?), as a feeding option for horses. Or galens garden website sells different forage pellets made for rabbits.
Okay thanks !
I tried and it mainly works

I used either my coffee grinder or my food processor. Personally didn't get as good results with a blender, but couldn't hurt to try. I volunteer with a rescue, so I also got the hay crumbs left at the bottom of their boxes and bags - much easier to grind. couple of my friends saved the bottoms of their bags for me, too

Back