Selling mix bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KittyKatMe

Reaction score
First of all, I am not a breeder. I just have a few bunnies and two accidentally bred. I used to raise purebred mini rex on a small scale, so I have had litters before. I had them on a purebred bunny selling site, and people would always buy them. But how do I sell mixes? These are Rex/Netherland Dwarfs, and have normal and Rex coats. They are also colored broken black/blue, black, and black otter. I am planning to sell them at six weeks of age as I did in previous litters. What is a good way to sell them? I want to meet the potential buyer to see what their plan is on caring for it. Do you think people will want to buy them? How much should I sell them for? Any help would be appreciated!

First, it's against the law to sell any animal before 8 weeks. You can take it from the mother, but once you start advertising their ages and other information you could be opening yourself up for an ARA to hop all over you. As for selling, you can advertise them on the same sites that you would purebreds. Then just give the information about their mixes, some pictures, and hope loving people come to buy them. As for prices, check the local ads in your area to see what mixed bunnies are going for...and then go from there. Good luck!!

Yes there is a law about 8 weeks for kits, but you can also use your judgement. I've gotten several of my buns at 6 weeks, and had no problems. My new flemmish is 6 weeks and is doing just fine. I could have waited but with the heat and I do have lots of experience with raising rabbits now, I see no problem. Nor did the breeder. Don't advertise exact age at all. Definitely interview all prospective buyers. Use craigs list, and definitely set up website or even facebook account. Lots of people on the internet that look for bunnies. Plus word of mouth is good as well. Reputation is the key.

Regarding mixes, they make great pets. And keeping them at a low price. $15-$20 sounds reasonable. Plus with the rex coat, not much grooming needed.

Wishing you luck with placing your kits.

K

You'll probably get some inexperienced people wanting them, so you probably will want to have a sheet for them telling them what food at what ages are recommended etc. Maybe have a weeks' worth available at cost if the buyer is a newbie.

I'm not sure. I've never had to sell a bunny before.

If it were me, I would pay up tp $30 or $35 for a CUTE rabbit. I dont care what its mixed with. If its cute, its worth it.

I amazingly have 2 purebred rabbits, I guess it just happened because when I look for bunnies I look for cuteness and personality. lol

Good luck!

Honestly i would rather a mixed breed, as you don't know what they will look like when they grow up, when with pure breeds they are beautiful but you know what they will look like, i also think that mixed breeds are usually cuter :)

Thanks, and if you do know anyone in SoCal wo wants one, I will deliver it myself. I think I will wean them at six weeks and sell them at 8. Also, today I found out that one that I thought was broken black is actually broken black otter, just like the daddy! He is going to turn out just like him, they have the same fur, color, etc. Yay!

Post some pictures & start a new topic & that might get you some interest. A lot of us are too far away, but I can think of one member who's no longer in S Cal, but not far away & they don't have as many rabbits as they used to .....

I like the mixed breeds. Two of mine are mini rex crossed with a holland lop rabbit. They are the sweetest little things ever! I have two pure mini rex does and they are lovely as well!! I paid $20 for both of my mixed breeds. I probably would have paid more if they asked for more. I honestly wasnt worried about the breed of rabbit when I got into them, as long as they were on the smaller side, and were friendly and a nice pet, thats all that mattered to me. I didnt get rabbits to show or anything , so it was no big deal for me.

I like the mixed breeds. Two of mine are mini rex crossed with a holland lop rabbit. They are the sweetest little things ever! I have two pure mini rex does and they are lovely as well!! I paid $20 for both of my mixed breeds. I probably would have paid more if they asked for more. I honestly wasnt worried about the breed of rabbit when I got into them, as long as they were on the smaller side, and were friendly and a nice pet, thats all that mattered to me. I didnt get rabbits to show or anything , so it was no big deal for me.

bhoffman wrote:
Lots of people out there that don't really care if a rabbit is purebred. Just want to experience a bunny. That's how I got Dobby and Kreacher. Nothing special, no papers, but have been the most awesome experience and teachers ever. After having the experience, I then got into "what breed I like".

My advise for your sweet mixed babes, when they arrive, handle them as much as possible. Give them their first trust in a human. I think it truly benefits a bunny and helps them connect to their "forever" humans. Makes it a better experience for a human too.

K

Two of them opened their eyes today! And I am handling them already. Thank you and I hope to get them good homes.

KittyKatMe wrote:
Two of them opened their eyes today! And I am handling them already. Thank you and I hope to get them good homes.
So thrilled about them opening their eyes. And kudos to you for already handling them. Hoping too that you get them good homes.

BTW, would love to see pics of these sweet babies.

K

Important to note that not all states have a minimum age sale law on rabbits (for example, Ohio doesn't). I don't recommend selling bunnies before 8 weeks of age, however, not all states prohibit this.

I can't post pix from my iPad, but I got a Macbook recently and hopefully I can post pix from there! I'm really keeping my fingers crossed!

Back