Seizure!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ainsleys_mommy

Reaction score
Raistlin is about 11 weeks old. I went to pick him up from the breeder today (he's my Christmas present to me) and I was holding him on his back and he just started seizing. I decided to still bring him home and keep an eye on him. Is it possible it was just a one time thing?

I'm pretty sure it was a seizure. He just started flopping his head back and forth and it only lasted for about 10 seconds. He seems okay otherwise and he handled the car ride home fine. He didn't have another seizure as I expected when I brought him into a house of barking dogs (he's housed away from them, but I have to walk through the "pack" to get to the rabbit room lol). He's currently laying on the bed with me and the cat, acting just fine.

you chose to take home a rabbit from the breeder that you saw seizure directly in front of you and the breeder let you take him home?????

WHY? Generally speaking, a good breeder would simply never allow that to happen. So either it was just a floppy bunny OR the breeder doesn't know as much as they should.

In the meantime monitor him. Young rabbits that seizure tend to do so again. I wouldn't be flipping him on his back again though.

She tried to have me pick out another, but he was the only black one that was available and I wanted to get another black Holland since my girl died in June. She's a friend of mine, so that's probably the only reason she let me take him. She did refund my money and told me if he does it again, I need to bring him back and choose another. We had never seen a rabbit seize before, so we weren't exactly sure what happened. He hasn't had anything other issues so far, but he's still "new".

It could have been a pinched nerve/bad reaction to being put on his back, it's not a natural position for bunny bodies. Maybe if you avoid doing that in future he won't have another seizure.

There are several different things that can cause seizures in rabbits, including e. cuniculi. The best thing would be a thorough vet exam, but even then it could end up being inconclusive. With EC being one of the more common causes, it might be good to treat your rabbit for this, especially if you see any other symptoms.

The treatment for that is Ivermectin, right? She has treated him twice with Ivermectin as a preventative. He does not have head tilt or seemingly any trouble walking in a straight line. Honestly, other than the seizure, he seems perfectly healthy.

No, treatment for EC is fenbendazole 20mg/kg once a day for 28 days, and also an anti inflammatory like metacam is often given as well. I of course can't say that EC is the cause, it's just a common one that causes neurological symptoms with rabbits. There are many possible things that can cause seizures.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/seizure.htm

Seizures don't just happen for no reason. That's not a good sign at all! Hundreds of things can cause seizures. Would be very difficult to pinpoint what the cause or reason is with out extensive testing (which could get very expensive). Being in an awkward position is no reason for any animal to seizure unless they have something going on neurologically that is causing them to do so. I sincerely hope this rabbit will not be put to use in any breeding program.

I have been reading this thread as my bun experiences seizures regularly (as in at least 2-3 times per month). I thought id finally respond. We went through the vet visits , medicines, and it's still unexplained. He does not have a head tilt or any other symptom. Just the seizures.

The vet said our next step would be an experimental medicine. Why is it experimental? Because epilepsy has never been actually diagnosed in rabbits and the medicine is an anti-epileptic medicine for dogs. There were many pros to using it but also very many cons. He assured me that callaway does not feel any pain when he seizes and probably has no idea it happens and then another person who experiences seizures reassured me that they do not experience pain. So we decided against the medicine. I'd rather not risk liver failure and other issues in the future. So we live with it. When he seizes, I get down on the floor with him and gently talk to him and keep him safe. He comes out of it within 15-20 seconds, fake grooms his chest, then gets back to bunny business.

So I guess I'm saying if all tests and medicines are unsuccessful, it isn't the end of the world. Every bun and animal deserves to have a life with a human parent and we have to provide it the best one we can for them just as you would with a child living with a disorder. I know humans and animals are not the same but a life is a life no matter how small. (Gently used from Dr Seuss ;D).

I mean he could just have a pinched nerve like someone had suggested and not be experiencing a real seizure. Just keep an eye on the bun :) record how long the seizure lasts and how many in a day if need be. But I'll be thinking of you over here and hoping for the best!

After speaking to my vet about him, I opted to take him back to the breeder. We have 9 dogs at my house and he had two more seizures. I just didn't think it was the right environment for him.

Yeah.. That was my concern. We have a seizure dog too, and any kind of loud noises or over stimulation causes her to have cluster seizures :( I got another bunny from the same breeder. He is able to play with the dogs and seems to really enjoy them. He binkies around their legs and curls up with them lol.

Latest posts

Back