Sebastian's Fashions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLS

Reaction score
After much waiting, I'm finally ready to start a blog for Sebastian.

For those who haven't seen my other threads, I started seriously researching a house rabbit almost exactly a year ago. At the time, I was living in dorms and couldn't have any of my animals with me ( I have quite a few geckos, a tarantula, etc.), I was also feeling that I really wanted a new fluffy companion because while keeping reptiles is great and I adore every critter in my collection, they don't really crave attention like some mammal pets do. Shortly before leaving for college, I had owned a pair of rats and they passed of old age a few months before I left. While I loved ratties, I really didn't want to "replace" my boys and didn't really feel a pull towards geting new rats. Long story short, I remembered a childhood friend who had mini lops as house rabbits and how almost "catlike" they were in personality, started researching away, and ended contacting a Belgian Hare breeder at the start of the summer. After many emails, questions, and waiting; he's finally here. :)

Sebastian was born on August 25th so that makes him 8 weeks old at the start of this blog :D

To start off here's a few photos from the breeder from before I picked him up:
2yuna74.jpg

34tdh1w.jpg

24mavkm.jpg

2ivb1p0.jpg

I finally picked him up on Saturday and my nice camera has been unfortunately temperamental so this opening post will have to have some not-so-hot cell phone photos. Here's the cutey himself( he's got one back two that's half black and half tan and its adorable :) ):
RWHoEl.jpg

L3ohzl.jpg

And some shots of his home ( It's a 36" high hexagon about 44" across both ways, sorry if its hard to see! ) He had some towels to snuggle with, but someone decided to take a wee all over them and they're drying in my bathroom after being washed :p He also has more toys but I didn't want to overwhelm him.
gtVJKl.jpg

W4AGxl.jpg

Day one was pretty good for Sebastian, he explored his new home, figured out that his cardboard box home was the best thing ever to chew and hide in;and left me some poops on the ground. Within an hour of getting home he'd eaten some pellets and hay and had a drink. I was a bit worried that he didn't poop immediately since I had to leave the house for a bit but when I came back I was really happy to see a pile of poops on the ground lol Today has been much of the same: I came home from working to find a bunch of new poops in his litterbox ( yay! ) however, he doesn't appear to have peed. How often do young rabbits usually pee? Sorry if that's an odd question RO! He's pretty shy so far and tends to retreat to his box when I come into my room, hopefully he'll get more bold as he settles in.

Awww! He is a cutie! I LOVE the ears and color. <3

Also Oliver pees a few times a day. But sometimes it is hard to tell with the litter I use, it does absorb really good...

aww, what a cutie!

seems like mine normally pee at least a couple times a day - he should've peed by now. is it possible he's buried his pee or the litter has just absorbed it really well? (or perhaps peed inside his box)

btw, make sure he's not chewing on the litter box liner!

It possible he's buried his pee, I saw him digging in his litterbox a bit earlier but I don't smell it at all versus this morning when he peed all over his towels it had quite the... bouquet to put things nicely lol Maybe yesterday's news is just awesome at absorbing bunny pee odors? His waterbowl is definitely way less full than when I refreshed it this morning so I know he's been drinking. He hasn't bothered with the liner yet but I'll keep an eye on it. Also, he LOVES his hay. I expected him to dive in after his pellets but he seems a lot more interested in the hay. His breeder doesn't feed much hay, so maybe that's why? Giving him access to hay when he's never really had it won't upset his stomach, right?

About the hay thing; Every time I got a new rabbit they were very interested in the hay and not so much pellets at first and I knew for a fact their previous owners who raised and bred show rabbits didn't feed hay but maybe once every other week. I use to use Yesterdays news litter and it was a VERY good absorber. :p

Good to hear about the yesterday's news. Does it change color or consistency/anything when it gets wet if you remember by chance? lol I feel a bit paranoid

He is just so sweet and I'm glad he is finally home with you. I know you really prepared and have researched for him.

I love his color and his name fits him. Im curious what led you to the Belgian hare breed? They are so interesting, I've heard. Intelligent and so fast and quick like! They are definetly unique so I was curious what drew you to them....

I scoop out Agnes and Archies litterbox at least two times a day, sometimes 3. There is always at least 2 new pee spots each time, usually more. Especially overnight. So I would estimate they pee between 6-12 times a day. I'm so anal about cleaning that I have it down to a science as far as what they pee :) and right now Agnes and Archie have two seperate litterboxes and their pee habits are almost identical.

And ditto to Jennifer on the litterbox liner. I saw that too! I personally would be hesitant to use those...I worry about choking.

I went ahead and pulled out the liner guys. Upon closer inspection there's some damp bits of litter so I guess he did pee in the box :)

As for where the idea of a hare came from, I just love the way they look. It started with wow what a gorgeous bunny and when I saw the black and tans I was in love :) The way they hold themselves is just gorgeous!

By coincidence the Belgian Hare club president lives not too far from where I'm at so I shot her an email asking about the breed's personality, if she would sell a bunny to a pet home, how she raised them etc. And the more I learned the more I really fell in love with the breed. She told me they were generally sweet rabbits, easy to littertrain/clicker train though they are nervous in the beginning and that the ones she had sold to pet homes had done very well. I wanted a larger rabbit but not a giant; so they fit that very well into that aspect. Also when I was younger, I had a close friend whose family bred mini lops and for a little while they had a Belgian Hare doe ( maybe even from Seb's breeder now that I think about it lol ) and she was just so elegant. They remind me of gazelles quite a bit.

He's really pretty! And it seems you've figured out the litter question, but I'll add what I saw on Yesterday's News's site and observed with mine: It absorbs from the bottom up, so the stuff on the bottom appears wet sooner than the top. It does swell up as it gets wet, too. Monty's pee spots look really small right on top when her litter is brand new, but if I remove the top inch or two, the spot is a lot bigger (I only put a couple inches in the box because as it swells, it ends up too close to the top and she accidentally peed over the side once or twice when it got like that)

Hi guys so Sebby came out of his cardboard house and laid down, not full flop but his feet were flopped over and was making this loud clicking noise? Like he would loudly click and every click he would kind of not shudder but kind like he had the hickups every time he clicked? Any idea what this means? I assume he was fairly relaxed since he was laying down and started grooming his front feet while laying down afterwords but that loud clicking noise freaked me out.

That is so cool! Do you think he was tooth purring. Bunnies will do that when they are relaxed and content. Agnes and archie will do it at the same time when I'm scratching their heads it sounds like a clicking choir ;)

What a beautiful bun! Sebastian is really a looker, stunning! He is going to become one handsome boy!

Belgians are a fantastic breed, we have a Belgian Hare and a Belgian x Tan ourselves and they are both absoloutly wonderful rabbits. Our Belgian is a touch more high strung, he startles pretty easily if something moves fast, but other then that he is one of the best rabbits you can ask for. Our TanxBelgian is such a goofy and funny boy, he's a level all his own.

I really think you'll love having a Belgian, they're so unique and absoloutly stunning to see.

By any chance, did you buy from Jeanne?

If you're interested, something we got for both our guys is a large U-shaped cat bed. If he doesn't chew, we find both our buns ADORE these beds, I think it's because of their arch shape and they are very long buns! I'd recommend it for any Belgian Bun if ours are anything to judge by!

540364_3627507406774_658864255_n.jpg

Hi Kipcha, your boy is beautiful! And yes, Sebastian is one of Jeanne's babies :) He's currently got a round kitty bed but seeing as he peed all over the towels that covered it, I'm afraid to put it back in his cage in case he decides to pee on it again lol I'm considering getting him one of these: http://www.etsy.com/listing/111853769/ugli-donut-bunny-bed-for-a-medium-to-med but I'll keep an eye out for a U-shaped cat bed as well :) Seb definitely has that whole startles when something moves fast thing going on :p

Another day for Sebastian and today we had our first bunny 500s! Early this morning when I was just awake for a bit and laying in bed waiting/dreading getting up he decided to start speeding around his enclosure and in and out of his box. A few small binkies/head and body shakes were had, very cute! He's also really starting to dig into his chew toys; particularly he really likes the banana leaf rolls ( from here: http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=1858&product=13776 ) and his maize triangle ( http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=1858&product=13228 ). He's also been nibbling at his rattan balls and cardboard house :) I threw a seagrass round into his cage and he immediately came out to nibble/investigate it.

E: he is going to TOWN on that seagrass round, new favorite chew toy I guess :) too bad I only have the one, might as well order some more :p

However, he doesn't show any interest in me at all, yet. No walking up to the cage when I sit near it on my computer ( Well, when I sit next to it on the ground ). When I sit on the ground next to the cage he hides in his cardboard box and might peek out and gingerly take a few steps and then retreat. If I'm on my bed, he'll come out and eat and do things but zero interest in me or coming out of his pen. Is this normal? I know its only been a few days but I'm wondering how long did everyone else's baby bunnies take to start showing interest in their owners?

Also hopefully I'll be able to borrow a friend's nice camera tomorrow and we'll have some proper pictures for this blog :)

Honestly, it is different with every bunny. Nikolai has only been here about a week but he is SO open and will sniff my hand and come right up to me and beg for veggies. He will allow rubbings and pettings just fine, too; as well as hopping on my back or giving me a rub with his nose.

However, Mischa has only been here for 2 days, but she is very shy and withdrawn, and I have only managed to get in a few pets, otherwise she skitters away.

Every rabbit has a different adjustment time. I was lucky to have Niki open up so quickly.

:yeahthat:

Every rabbit is different. Agnes, my Lionhead I got as a baby came right up to me. She has been a snuggle bun from the start and has remained that way.

Archie I rescued from a shelter. He comes right up too. He's a little more on edge than Agnes, hr will startle and more noises. I've had him about a month.

So your Sebastian could go either way. Some rabbits loved to be touched and handled, some grow up and never tolerate it. Thats the thing with rabbits, it could go either way.

Belgian hares are a bit more active and get spooked more easily than other rabbits so it could be he's just so "busy" that he won't sit still for that long :)

Either way you just have to accept their personality and bond in your own way.

Thanks for the replies everyone :) I'm fine letting him become whoever he wants to be and from the beginning I decided I'd be alright with a bunny who didn't care at all if a rabbit tolerated being picked up/messed with too much ( as I really don't like picking critters up ) as long as they could become comfortable with me and I could still enjoy their company.

Sorry for no new updates, I 've just been crazy busy. However, I'm home sick from classes today and we a small breakthrough. Sebastian is now alright being out and about, even flopping, when I'm sitting next to his cage and he allowed me to give him a few strokes. He doesn't care to be touched on the ears but face rubs don't seem to overly offend him :p He also came out of his pen for the first time, for like 3 seconds. He then promptly hopped back into his pen and into his house to rethink that life changing moment lol

I think your comment on him being too "busy" is spot on because as I've been hanging out with him this afternoon, he is far more receptive to pets and me sitting by him while he's calm and sleepier. I assume he usually naps most of the afternoon while I'm gone since bunny 500s tend to happen right when I wake up.

I'll try to take some pictures today as well but hooray!

I snapped a few cellphone photos earlier:

1XfYMl.jpg

9kmhRl.jpg

A bun loaf:
FwXAQl.jpg

In case you're wondering about the bed outside of his cage, its because he peed on it when the towels were in his cage so I'm hesitant to put it back in his cage. You can see his red chest/belly a bit in this one :) :
nUGMjl.jpg

yeah, they do tend to sleep the afternoons away :p

have you tried petting him with a fingertip from the tip of his nose up his forehead to between his ears? my bunnies LOVE that!

Back