scent glands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avarocks

Reaction score
I saw the whole big thread about holding the bunny and all that, but how on earth do you FIND the scent glands? I mastered getting the nails trimmed. I used the same posture but I had to do it from my wheelchair so I'd have easy access to the sink with warm water and the cotton swabs to clean the glands, if I had to. I held Milo on my lap with an absorbent pad in my lap (should I ooze out any goo or should he pee or whatever). He gave a good struggle at first but then he sort of played dead. I started checking around down there and I could not for the life of me find what you guys describe as these glands. I found pockets under the testicles where they appear to 'rest' but I also checked off to the sides and I didn't find anything. I was searching for a good five minutes but I didn't see a darn thing. Does that mean that it just doesn't need to be done? Milo isn't fixed...I can't afford to have it done and he won't be interacting with any bunnies that I know of in the near future (certainly if it becomes an issue I'll check into it). He's a year and a half old but I don't know his history. He's a shelter rescue, I've had him almost two weeks...be two weeks on Tuesday. I have no idea if those glands were ever cleaned I just know I couldn't find anything...how do I know I've found the empty scent gland then, and it just doesn't need to be done? His nails were bad I know that but that's since been looked after. The aftermath of me checking for these glands wasn't good...so this isn't something that I will be doing often. Milo was stressed and it was visibly apparent. His lop ears were pinned straight back and I was hugging him for his comfort...the poor thing was just stuff against me, breath going a mile a minute and just would not change position. This is not like Milo at all. He's a wiggle worm...you get a two minute hug from him and he wants to go. Those big eyes of his looked unhappy. I held him and talked soft. Every so often he would put his head under my hand and so I would pet his forehead, and head and give his ears some gentle massaging. I wrapped him up in the pad I was using and held him close. It took literally half an hour to calm him. Slowly but surely his breathing slowed and those lop ears came down. Eventually he got all hyper and struggled so I released him and he proceeded to do 'the flop' so I knew then that he was alright. Point being made, I have to do that as infrequently as possible. Don't get me wrong...I LOVED the snuggle, but he was one upset little man, something I don't want happening unless necessary. If someone can tell me just how to find that scent gland, even the empty one then I'll have another peek in a few days. Just in case I did not look properly and it needs to be done. He's fine now though, back to munching hay like a pig!

Sarah

No goo involved!:)
The buildup you find in the scent glands usually ranges from a yellowish flaky substance to a dark brown waxy build up if they are really gunky!

If you checked that thoroughly then chances are he was already cleaned before he left the shelter!

The glands are a bit of a misnomer...they aren't a swelling or bump or anything quite so obvious.
The glands are literally, small half folds of skin to either side of the penis or vulva that fold in.
If your bunn is un-neutered the skin of the scent gland resembles the soft pinkish skin of the testes. Unless there is a noticeable buildup it may not be obvious!

If you checked yesterday you can probably get away with quarterly checks...so every third month!

As much as Milo hates being manipulated...it is something he needs to get used to.
There is nothing worse than a bunn that may be injured or sick that you can't handle to inspect!
You did the perfect thing giving him cuddles at the end!
Always end on a good note...once he gets the idea that it is a "one and done" type of situation...he will be less stressed!
Being a new rescue bunn he has a lot to adjust to!
Our kids just accept it as a step in their grooming process! :)

Then it's probably safe to say the glands are clean. I do remember seeing soft folds of skin down there. Whew! I will check again next time I do a nail trim. Even if they don't need cleaning I'd like to know. He does have a lot to adjust to. I bought a huge bag of craisins today...I don't know if he likes them or not (I hope so because you couldn't pay ME to eat one of those things...eww) but it's a treat for him!

Our rescue bunns started off with a take it or leave it attitude towards craisins...now...well let's just say if you tried to take away their treats you'd lose a finger or two!:shock:

Just give him time! So many new things to see and try! :biggrin2:

The craisins are a hit. He wouldn't get mad if you took them away...yet lol. He did eat the ones I gave him today. Happily ate the cilantro I bought him today too! Something else that was new.

avarocks wrote:
He did eat the ones I gave him today. Happily ate the cilantro I bought him today too! Something else that was new.
Off topic a bit, but try not to feed too many new foods at once - if he has a reaction, you'll be hard pressed to find to which food it is.

the cilantro and craisins were the first new food...been eating celery, carrots and lettuce only for the last 2 weeks so I wanted to give him a change...but thanks for the tip!

Back