Scent gland question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goneforbaroque

Reaction score
I have 2 rabbits (bonded), both fixed males and 2ish years old. One (dutch dwarf) never seems to have anything impacting his scent glands. The other (NZ/flemish mix) has very bad build up whenever I check. They are both fed the same diet (timothy and sometimes oat hay, timothy pellets, fresh greens) and have the same exercise time. Is there anything I can do to help with Merlin's scent glands? Other than clean more often...

Really, I think it is all about the rabbit themselves rather then their diet or anything... Although with ours I notice that our nuetered males have a bigger build up then any of our others.

Sorry, only thing I can think of is more cleaning...

Hopefully someone else will have some better advice.

I just posted a few minutes ago about how my rabbit went to the emergency clinic today and the vet found an impacted scent gland!

I think it really depends on the rabbit in terms of how much debris accumulates. Like some people naturally produce more ear wax than others. I think remaining vigilant about checking them will help. Maybe keep a schedule of how often you check the glands in your one prone rabbit.

I'm really disappointed in my regular vets regarding my own experience. Ula just had a full check up last month and I can't believe the vets didn't notice an accumulation of material. She's too feisty to let me examine her and only behaves for others. If they had noticed an accumulation they might have been able to prevent the impaction that we discovered today.

Latest posts

Back