Scared New Rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdwardForDaWeen

Reaction score
So i just got my new rabbit about 3 days ago from the pet store and it seems like he's still trying to warm up to his new cage/environment. I've been reading websites about bonding with new rabbits and I know that you're supposed to be patient, etc.

I would open up his cage and he would kinda step outside of it and touch the floor with his paws/hands, keeping his hind legs in his cage... after a few seconds he'll then go back into his cage -_-.

Right now his cage is open with him inside it. My stomach is on the floor so that I am at level with Shiro, and I am pretending to 'ignore' the him. So do I just do this everyday until he becomes curious and comes out of his cage?

Are there other ways to try and make him come out of his cage?

971BD6AB.jpg

With that awesome of a setup, I might not want to come out of my cage either! :D

Do you talk to him? It might help if he becomes familiarized with your voice, especially after his big move from the pet shop. I bet he'll warm up to you once he understands he's there to stay. I don't know if I would ignore him everyday... he's probably still getting accustomed to his new habitat and won't be curious about you and the outside world yet. Maybe you could coax him out with a treat?

He certainly looks relaxed in there, though. Good luck!

Thank you for the cage complements :D
I cant give any treats yet since he is only 6 weeks old :(
I amguessing he is still warming up in his new cage too, and I will try to talk to him more!

Gorgeous cage!!! Hopefully he gets used to seeing you around and will come out and visit. Try reading a book, out loud, so he hears your voice and you don't go stir crazy. LOL

Our Nibbles was like that, too. He didn't come out for a couple days. Just be patient :) He'll come out when he's ready and you two can get to know each other more. He looks like a cutie!!

Props on the cage! It looks great!

I do that...that way they can hear my voice and I get some reading in. But I also talk to them non-stop when doing morning and evening chores, visiting the babies, etc. Sometimes I think they pay more attention than my kids do. lol

You might try putting some food and toys outside the hutch. Time and patience are also key. Try laying down so your on the same level, and I have a couple of litter boxes filled with shredded paper and placed in a two piece apple box with holes in both ends so they can pass thru.

Congratulations on your new rabbit. I'm experiencing a young flemish right now. Actually he's been here for one day now. This is all new to them. They are completely out of the realm they were in and placed somewhere they have no idea about. Pellets and treats will be your best bet to entice your bunny out of his crate. That's all they know about food. The bond of food was given to them from their Moms.

The way I advanced that bond to me from food, was to spend time outside their crate. Letting them get used to my sounds and smells. And when I let them out, it was on my terms, and for just short spurts. It helps me keep the stress level down for my young ones. Too much stimulation can cause problems. They are still babies and need structure. And they need to look to you, not food. IMHO to help them venture out and be confident enough to enjoy the outside. All my bunnies are very comfortable. It takes some time, but I see very relaxed bunnies. When relaxed, I found out how amazing each one's personality really is.

Hope this helps a bit.

K

Update* I have been having the cage open and me sitting by it, lying on my stomach, so far I think he is starting to trust me!

I have been able to teach him a few tricks with a clicker. He is not comfortable with me holding him yet, but i think this is a good start.

EdwardForDaWeen wrote:
Update* I have been having the cage open and me sitting by it, lying on my stomach, so far I think he is starting to trust me!

I have been able to teach him a few tricks with a clicker. He is not comfortable with me holding him yet, but i think this is a good start.

Definitely a good start. Wishing you continued success with gaining that trust. And regarding the holding part, that will come in time too. Just keep doing what you are doing.

K

When we got Bambi she was extremely shy--little or no contact or handling would be my guess. When we put her out to run, she would jump right back into her hutch, so we had to close her door to keep her out. After quite a bit of time, she's now kind of a pest and you have to do the "shuffle" to keep from stepping on her. We don't have to close her hutch anymore.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
When we got Bambi she was extremely shy--little or no contact or handling would be my guess. When we put her out to run, she would jump right back into her hutch, so we had to close her door to keep her out. After quite a bit of time, she's now kind of a pest and you have to do the "shuffle" to keep from stepping on her. We don't have to close her hutch anymore.
Ah, the "tough love" method. Does work. I'm just a softee, so sitting and waiting works for my Tribe.

K

Okay so, He is not really shy toward me anymore and will sometimes come to me if I call his name (usually when he is looking for food lol). He isnt really a "lap" bunny and still is not comfortable with me picking him up. I really want to take him outside for the first time in his play pen so he could have more time playing, but he just wont let me pick him up. Any advice?

I was thinking of just doing a carrier and move him like that but I thought I would hear from you guys.

EdwardForDaWeen wrote:
Okay so, He is not really shy toward me anymore and will sometimes come to me if I call his name (usually when he is looking for food lol). He isnt really a "lap" bunny and still is not comfortable with me picking him up. I really want to take him outside for the first time in his play pen so he could have more time playing, but he just wont let me pick him up. Any advice?

I was thinking of just doing a carrier and move him like that but I thought I would hear from you guys.
That's how I move all the Z-Tribe from inside to their outside run. Less stressful for all of us. And I think safer too. Plus get a lot of practice with picking up and putting down.

K

Latest posts

Back