scared mothers will kill their newborn?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes and no.

Scared mothers can bop around their enclosures like little freakazoids.

it's THAT process that kills the kits as mom isn't being careful...she's being a freakazoid.

It's less a deliberate act (generally speaking) than a result of her being so very scared. SO...with new moms it's best to go with the calm easy going HEY..how you doing? Can I take a peek? Ah see, you're okay, I'm okay approach. Freaking them out not a good idea. :)

As far as domestic rabbits go, this is a myth.

Domestic rabbits are very used to human interaction. When kits are born, I immediately check the nest to make sure that they are all alive and have sufficient bedding. Some of the first timers are a little curious about me checking and supervise my hand to make sure it doesn't remove the babies. But they've never been frightened or aggressive from my presence.

On a rare occasion, a doe may cannibalize her litter or stomp them in the nest. If that happens, they'll usually be bred once or twice more- sometimes it's just a first timer mistake and they do just fine the second time around. But if the behavior continues, they should be removed from the breeding herd. Not something you'd want to breed in!

Wild rabbits may be more protective about their litters, I'm not sure about them. However, the nests we've accidentally disturbed when gardening or mowing the lawn have been just fine.

You can lessen the chance of first time moms freaking and accidentally injuring the newborns by building a relationship with the doe beforehand. In other words, by talking to her, petting her and handling her before she's pregnant, she will be more comfortable with you coming into the cage and messing with the kits.

Latest posts

Back