Scared for Monsters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Monster's is my 10+ old bunny. She's been out all day hopping around and lounge around. Around 11pm she was feed and watered and given her metacam .22ml. I put her in bed with her supper so fluffy would have to eat his own.
I just went to check on her in bed and she was laying awkward so I picked her backend up to see if she was just laying funny but she wasn't.
I pulled her out of her cage and she wont move use her backend at all. She keeps it on the floor and just twist herself with her front paws. I'm hopping it's just cause she's tired. She is gonna stay in my room for the night. she has a doggie bed and a blanket set up for her.
This happened last year in oct.
If she's not better in the morning I'm call the vet and get her in right away. I can't stand to see her this way.

I have a short video of her in her consdition as of now.

Don't touch her or try and make her hop. If she's injured her back, it could make it worse. She should be confined in a small space until you can get her in for an exam.

She's been feeling pain for awhile, she had irregularities in her spine and hip if I recall, so it could be a pain response or it could be further damage because of the irregularities or something else, but best to keep her quiet.

Poor bunny. :cry2

Hope she's okay!

sas :pray:

Here's the video of her from about an hour ago.

I don't think it's a back injury. I gave her about 5-8cc of water in the past hour. Just recently she jumped out her dog bed and could hold her self up a little bit more. She's still eating and drinking a little bit. I will leave her in my room for the night. I hope that she feels better in the morning. If not I guess it's off to the vets. I think/hope she wore herself out.

Hi, I don't have experience with rabbits that have off/on again hind leg weakness but a few things come to mind here.

There is arthritis, which could now be affecting the strength of her spine and legs. If this is the case the spine is increasingly vulnerable to trauma. All animals go through this to some degree, some more than others.

There is also the option that she is being reinfected by E. cuniculi. There has not been tons of research done on this, but if she is physically vulnerable I do wonder if it is a possibility.

Hydration will make her feel better regardless, as it will lubricate the joints and provide some relief for her.

She was treated for possible E.C. in Oct. 08. We do suspect she has arthritis a bit. I do that her right hind leg is her bag leg. When she had x-rays done you could see that the socket had diterated a bit so it doesn't sit well. I keep a close eye on her. I just refilled the water bowl and put it just out her bed. So she doesn't have to go far to get it. I will keep a close on her. She is also very skinny. I had plans on getting her some alfalfa pellets and hay and help boost her weight up.

I wouldn't give her more metacam unless you talk to the vet and also get her really well hydrated.

I also wouldn't enourage her to try to move around a lot. she will when she is able

this looks very similar to my babette (RIP) who had spinal arthritis . except that Babette could beplaced back up and then could stay up sometimes for a few hours before she toppled and was unable to get back up again. are Monsters legs stiff in the back ?.

can you get her to the vet soon. ?

she will get a pressure sore from dragging herself

I feel so bad for you ; this brings a flood of memories back to me about my girl and how she struggled like Monsters.

"Hugs"

Maureen

also can you change her positions ..like lying her on the other side?

Icouldn't do this with babette as she seemed bent to the right and there was no flexibility

pla725 wrote:
Looks like the same thing my Smitten is doing. The vet prescribed a higher dosage of metacam. Smitten has had some improvement. No hopping yet.
Do you feel that the highrr dose of metacam worked for smit?
if so possibly it is worth it to ask the vet to increase monsters dose.

Huge hugs. From watching the video, it appears that she has movement in both back legs, so a spinal injury/trauma causing paralysis is unlikely. I would guess that her spine is in pain (probably arthritis as mentioned) and she doesn't want to use it to sustain her weight.

Huge hugs and positive thoughts~~

We just got back from the vets.
The doc said there isn't a whole lot we have do but keep her comfortable. We are now giving her Tramadol for pain if there is any. The doc said she thinks it could be a neurological problem from her age and it will slowly take her movement away :(
She said Monsters could have days, weeks or months left in her life. I'm going for years. It will be a sad day when Monsters leaves us. The vet said if we well her quality of life is gone we can bring her back and her to rest. But hopes she'll pass on her own.

As for her weight she said to feed her anything she wants. We are now going to go out and but some more food and hay for the buns.

Thanx for the prayers.
Rebecca and Monsters

Poor girl. Just remember to keep a positive attitude and enjoy every minute you have with her. You and she will know when it's time.

:pray:

Latest posts

Back