Scared bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm... I'm not sure mabey give him extra attention and lots of treats. Oh and add places that he can hid in to help him feel secure.

-TK

Welcome to the forum :)

Has anything happened in his world that might have unsettled him? Maybe moving or changing his hutch/cage? moving house? A new addition to the household be it animal or person? Any of those things can unsettle a bunny, and add strange noises to an unsettled bunny and it will be even more scared.

You could try, as TK says, to add more places to hide so that he has places to feel safe. You could also try helping him to feel safe around you again, and realise that you are not going to hurt him, so maybe try sitting next to his hutch and just talking to him, but not opening the hutchor stroking him, maybe read a book and let him run around you but ignore him unless he comes onto you, but don't over fuss him, just a hi and some small chatter might be ok too, sort of judge it by him and how he is behaving.

Also, when he is about and running try to keep scary noises or sudden movements to a minimum.

He should calm down with time and effort.

Thank you everyone:)What a great bunch you are.

The only thing that has happened over the last month is that i went on holiday for 2 weeks but my bunny mad neighbour looked after the buns for me - she spent at least a couple of hours with them both everyday as well as the cleaning out etc...

And i've really only noticed his timidness since returning (a week ago now). Do you think it could be this?

I try not to make any noises but he's so very jumpy, he jumps at the very slightest thing and scarpers into his cardboard house:?The other day i walked in the front door and said hello to my fiance and he absolutely jumped out of his skin.

I'll persevere with the treats and spending time with him. I just hope he comes round as he just doesnt seem happy :(

x

Is it possible that something happened when you were away?

Maybe something like some loud roadworks outside? I'm not saying your ind neighbour did anything wrong, just that maybe something spooked him while you were away, and it freaked him more than normal because you were not there.

When you got him was he this nervous? Some bunnies need constant reminding that things are safe and that you are safe peoplewith strokes, talking, and just generally being around them. Maybe he forgot that you were safe or something.

Thanks Moominoo :)(great name by the way....does it have anything to do with the Moomins? I LOVED that programme!)

I doubt it could have been roadworks as we live on such a quiet street. Maybe its just that he 'forgot' who we were.

I spent some time with him this morning just stroking him and he seemed fine - so i'll continue with this as see how we get on

xx

I'm glad he was ok when you were stroking him. Hopefully he'll settle back down :)

My name is thenickname I used for one of my bunnies who died recently.

Moominmoo wrote:
I'm glad he was ok when you were stroking him. Hopefully he'll settle back down :)

My name is thenickname I used for one of my bunnies who died recently.

I'm sorry you lost a bun :(

Thank you for your advice x

Thanks.

She's in my avatar, her real name is Moon.Her brother recently fathered a gang of babies soshe has recently just gained a whole host of nieces and nephews, so she is still with me :)

I really hope that your bunny settles down. when he has done,it will feel so good to know that your hard work has helped him feel better :)

She's beautiful! :)You must miss her lots - but great news about the babies. you'll have to post pics when you have some!

I think Fin will be ok, just alot of time and patience needed (oh and lots of treats i've just bought for him!) lol!

Thank you for your advice on the bonding as well, i desparately want them all to bond as the new bun has been rejected twice now bypotential homes:(and he was found dumped on a rubbish site in a filthy guinea pig hutch! :X

I'll keep you updated!

That's really sad about the bun, good on your for giving him a forever home.

If he doesn't bond with yours, then he might be equally happy to live by himself but having lots of contact from you.

The Dinkies (as I call the babies) are in my avatar, Angel, Star, Sunny, Lightning, Hope, Dusk and Dawn, and if you are interested I have a blog elsewhere. If you click on my username and click homepage it will open the profile page for my blog. There's more pics on there and stories and stuff.

Latest posts

Back