Scabs on rabbits back

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lala7

Reaction score
I noticed that my rabbit has been getting scabs on his back. While one is healing he gets another. I don't think this is mites because I've had an outbreak of fur mites a few years ago and this is different. The scabs are about a centimeter big and I think he's gotten 3 or 4 so far.
What could this be?

Is he with another bun? Are there any scabs on his "areas" or on his face?

Are there any scabs on his bottom or in his private areas? If not then I would lean towards mites or fleas. I would take him to the vet just to make sure. And I don't know if you take him to a rabbit savvy vet or not but if it does end up being fleas just make sure they don't give him frontline or anything like that. The only one that I know of that is safe is Revolution but let me double-check on that. I'm no vet or anything but the only things that I have heard of causing scabs are rabbit syphilis (but it doesn't sound like that if there are no scabs on the face or private areas), fleas, and mites. I could be missing something but these are the most common things that I have heard of (Even still I hardly ever hear of a case of rabbit syphilis) I don't want to scare you I am just trying to inform you. But definitely go to the vet.

Are there any scabs on his bottom or in his private areas? If not then I would lean towards mites or fleas. I would take him to the vet just to make sure. And I don't know if you take him to a rabbit savvy vet or not but if it does end up being fleas just make sure they don't give him frontline or anything like that. The only one that I know of that is safe is Revolution but let me double-check on that. I'm no vet or anything but the only things that I have heard of causing scabs are rabbit syphilis (but it doesn't sound like that if there are no scabs on the face or private areas), fleas, and mites. I could be missing something but these are the most common things that I have heard of (Even still I hardly ever hear of a case of rabbit syphilis) I don't want to scare you I am just trying to inform you. But definitely go to the vet.

I just checked and he doesnt have any scabs around his face or private area. I dont really think its mites because ive dealt with that before and this doesnt look the same at all. Plus, i have another rabbit in a hutch next to his and im always petting both of them so if it were mites it would've been passed along a while ago.
In the past i treated the mites with revolution, and i think i have one tube left from that.
Ive never dealt with fleas before so i dont know how contagious those are but i didnt see any on him either (but again, i dont know how easy it is to spot fleas).

Latest posts

Back