Scab on ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vivienne

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New rabbit owner here,
I just saw a scab on my rabbits ear and I’m quite concerned as to where he’s got it as he’s an indoor bunny and is alone
I haven’t noticed any changes in diet and his behaviour is still the same (very active and playful)
052581F1-4BE5-4A2B-811C-536501A638F6.jpeg
Is it suggested to visit a vet for this one ?

thanks in advance :)

Is there hair loss around the ear? Is the ear looking dirty? If so, it could be ear mites, which you should go to the vet for. If you suspect ear mites, keep a lookout for scratching, mild head tilting, and irration.

https://www.wikihow.com/Diagnose-Ear-Mites-in-Rabbits
If you don't think it is ear mites, then I would suggest monitoring it for the next few days, then check it again. It could be an infection, or something that shouldn't be worried about too much.

I'm not a vet, and I'm sure others will have great answers as well! :)

Best wishes ~
Remy

Is there hair loss around the ear? Is the ear looking dirty? If so, it could be ear mites, which you should go to the vet for. If you suspect ear mites, keep a lookout for scratching, mild head tilting, and irration.

https://www.wikihow.com/Diagnose-Ear-Mites-in-Rabbits
If you don't think it is ear mites, then I would suggest monitoring it for the next few days, then check it again. It could be an infection, or something that shouldn't be worried about too much.

I'm not a vet, and I'm sure others will have great answers as well! :)

Best wishes ~
Remy

Hi Remy! Thanks for your help
I did check around the ear for signs of ear mites and didn’t notice anything unusual so I’ll just monitor it for the next few days :)
Just panicked since it’s his first incident since I’ve got him haha

I'm also thinking it might be ear mites. Here is another link on them: MediRabbit.
If you suspect ear mites, you can treat it with Ivermectin. It is the most common way to treat them.
Medirabbit says:
"Ivermectin: 0.4 mg/kg, PO (oral) or SC (subcutaneous injection), 3 times at intervals of 14 days (life cycle of Psoroptes cuniculi is 21 days); 0.2 mg/kg has been found ineffective."

I always try out a natural way first and thought this might be helpful: http://florida4h.org/projects/rabbits/MarketRabbits/Files/NaturalRemedies.pdf
"EAR MITES: Olive Oil: Clean out the ear, carefully, remove all the brown waxy build up. Using a droper add 6-7 drops of olive oil into each ear. Keep the rabbit from shaking its head for a few minutes so that the oil can work its way into the ear. The oil will drown and kill the mites."

There was a thread a couple of months back on this topic. Here is the link: Help 3 rabbits with Really bad ear and fur mites

Thanks for the response everyone ! I took him to a vet and they said it was a superficial wound :) thanks for the prompt replies and help ! 😁

Latest posts

Back