Saving a bunny...unwanted school pet!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenson

Reaction score
I'm off in a minute to go and collect a bunny. He's a year old and has been a school pet since he was 8 weeks old. Now they have decided he's too much trouble and they can't be bothered with him, so they decided to let him go in the fields!

I heard about it and of course I couldn't let them do that, so I'm stepping in to help. I don't have much space but we'll squeeze in him somewhere!

I'm pretty angry that they would treat a rabbit like this, and what an example to set for the children they teach! I'm going to have to be nice and polite when I go to get him, but I can't wait to come home and write a letter telling them what I think!

Hopefully he's nice and sweet and his year of being a school pet hasn't had a bad effect on him. I'll be rehoming him as soon as I can providing he's healthy and happy.

Photos coming as soon as he's home, wish me luck!

Will await photos! How fortunate that you found out about him, before he got dumped. How fortunate he is that you volunteered to give him a chance.

He's fixed or neutered I imagine... ? Please keep us posted.

Nice way for schools to educate, set good examples. Duh.

** Dump "it" after you can't be bothered with a pet. **

Grrrrrr,

I hope your letter will reach the powers that be.

Wishing you Loads of Luck in getting him into a forever loving home!

What kinda shape would this world be in if rescue-oriented humans were few in number?

Cheers from this side of the world !!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

How awful that a SCHOOL would do that to a bunny! I'm so glad you're saving it! I think that you should most definately write a letter, is it a state school? You should write to.... erm...... *thinks*........ some kind of authority, that regulates schools that I just can't think of lol!!

Can't wait to see pics, I hope that the little guy is ok! Rehoming you say? On this side of the atlantic, that's dangerous lol!! :p

Good luck!

Jen xx

Wow, how terrible. I would definitely write a letter to both the school and the teacher explaining how domestic rabbits cannot survive in the wild and how this sets a terrible example to the children they teach. Rather than teaching them to be responsible for their actions (ie taking in a bunny) they are showing the students not only a disrespect for life but that its ok to just write off their committments and responsibilities.

If it were me I would probably see about calling the local paper as well. This is the exact opposite of what kind of example teachers and schools should be setting for their children.

It amazes me that teachers would be so stupid as to think the bunny would be ok and that they actually do things like this when children look to them as role models.

Shame on that person -

Eek! In your letter, don't forget to tell them that if the rabbit isn't killed by predators when released, it could die a horrible death from VHD or myxi. Wild rabbit colonies can spread those diseases fast.

I can't believe that's how they're teaching kids!:shock:

Angela, I just read your comment on VHD or myxi. Now here's the dumb question, is it safe to let our Bunnies out on the grass, we have wild bunnies in our yard sometimes. They do of course leave their droppings and pee pee in the yard. I have not let any of ours on our grass for the past couple of years because of this. I'm not really sure how they can catch it.

Thanks sorry to hijack this blog.:threadhijacked:

Susan:apollo:

Sorry should have added, Jenson that is a wonderful thing you are doing to take this bunny. I really believe rabbits or any other animal should not be in any class room for this very reason. This just shows how irressposible people are.

Oh my gosh! that is definitley not a good example to set. :( how mean of them to just dump the rabbit. when you write the letter please post it on here so we can all see what you said.

good luck with your new rescue!

Jenson, good for you! I agree with everyone else as far as the example they are leading by, not good. I'd be writing the Administrators of the school as well:grumpy:. Heck, write an article for the local newspaper too. That ought to embarrass them.

SOOOSKA wrote:
Angela, I just read your comment on VHD or myxi. Now here's the dumb question, is it safe to let our Bunnies out on the grass, we have wild bunnies in our yard sometimes. They do of course leave their droppings and pee pee in the yard. I have not let any of ours on our grass for the past couple of years because of this. I'm not really sure how they can catch it.

No worries! We don't have myxi or VHD on our continent except for very rare outbreaks and a tiny bit of myxi in California. It's a concern for Jenson because she's in the UK where both diseases were deliberatelyintroduced byhumans.

It is possible for wild rabbits to spread some internal parasites to your buns via droppings but that doesn't appear to be a problem for most rabbits that get outside playtime. And if internal parasites are found, they're usually easily treated.

Thanks guys!

Well "Mopsy" was living in a tiny hutch, can't have been more than 2ft in length! However he did have a large area to run in and he's in good condition, if a little chubby.

They told me he's a pure Lionhead, but I'm not convinced. I've decided to call him Milo. He's very sweet and gentle, he's happy to settle into my lap for a cuddle or sit beside me on the rug. He's not neutered, and has fathered a litter which makes the whole situation even worse! He's a really lovely little gentleman, breaks my heart to think of what would have happened to him had he been abandoned!

Anyway, here is the handsome little man!
_MG_1182mel.jpg

_MG_11f79mur.jpg

_MG_1174mel.jpg

I've decided not to do anything about it. As much as I want to, the lady who put me in touch with the school is my friends mum and she asked me not to. She says they're not cruel, just uneducated, no excuse but I can't do it if she asked me not to.

At least he's safe now and hopefully I can find him a forever home to love him!

Aww. Milo looks very sweet. Thank goodness you rescued him - thank you so much!

He definitely looks like he has some lionhead in him, but I think he might be a mix. Either way, though, he's adorable and I'm so happy that you were able to rescue him!

Thanks Alexah, yeah he's lovely, he's been stretched out in the sun for most of the morning, he's settled in fine!

Yup there is definitely Lionhead in him, but personally I think he's a Mini Lop cross, he is so much like one!

if my child went to that shcool and i found out the teacher did that i would flip a lid and would be straight to the principles office making a fuss. Thank you for taking this bun in.

What a beauty! I don't knos how anyone could think that a cute little bunny like that could survive out in the woods! I really wish we could get people to realize that releasing a bunny is a death sentence--it would mean more people surrender their bunnies to shelters, but fewer bunnies get mangled by wild animals and other pets. After "Make Mine Chocolate," maybe we can work on "Don't Release Me!"

That's a fab idea! We really need to educate people about releasing rabbits! People think because they see wild rabbits around that their bunnies can survive too. Last night I saw 3 English Spot crosses grazing on a strip of grass with a busy road either side of them...it needs to stop! :(

Awww, he is really cute! Bless him... Well done you for rescuing him! Gosh, if I wasn't 'not allowed' to get any more rabbits at the moment, I'd be onto you wanting him myself! :p

It's hard to tell in the picture, does he have Agouti colouring, or is he lighter than that?

What did you say to the people at the school when you took him? Did you politely explain that being a domesticated pet he would never survive in the wild?

Grrr, still makes me mad that people would think that's ok to do!! :grumpy:

Jen I really think you need this Bunny. He is very cute.

How far are you from Wales? I honestly think you need to take a trip there to adobt this little cutie.:p

Susan:)

Latest posts

Back