salt and mineral licks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsy

Reaction score
I see people giving their rabbits salt licks, are salt and mineral licks good for them? should they always have them? or should I avoid them?

Both salt and mineral licks are not needed for a rabbit. Good pellets will provide what a rabbit needs. Excess salt and minerals can be dangerous, especially if consumed all at once. I have not had a rabbit that would use them anyway, so essentially just a waste of money.

They're not really necessary; my bunny Felix ignored his completely, and they get enough minerals from their pellets and greens. :)

However, if you have a chew-happy bunny, you might find them useful! I rehomed Clementine to a wooden hutch tonight and she started TEARING through it, so I positioned Felix's ignored mineral stone in front of an area she was gnawing on, and it helped to (somewhat) distract her.

There's no need for one and if you have a bunny in need of distracting a wooden bird toy will work just as well.

They don't need them. I gave Gandalf one that the hamster ignored and he occasionally gives it a lick occasionally but most of the time just uses it as a toy since I attached it to a metal skewer thing designed for fruit and veg with a bell in the end. I wouldn't buy one specifically for him though.

Latest posts

Back