Salmonella found in Parsley and Cilantro

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
Okay, here is the article: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/12/27/salmonella.produce/index.html

It affects my state. However, can't figure out if I need to stop feeding cilantro or not. It doesn't state what stores to be concerned about. My cilantro doesn't have an expiration date. Only think it says is Product of Mexico.

I would stop feeding it and not worry about it. But this is Chase's favorite veggie. I am afraid if I remove it, she will eat less and this is the only way she gets water. She has to get a good amount of fluids because of the Lasix she is on and I plus her chronic bladder stone/sludge issue.

I know I am totally freaking out and need someone rational to look at this. If you know my back story of Chase and how one small change in her veggie diet brings her sludge back! Okay I need to breathe.

[align=center]Thank you for posting this- I'm gunna stop feeding parsley and cilantro for a while.

I'm not sure what you should do though D= Maybe wash it extra good? That's a toughie since it's your bun's favorite and she pretty much needs it... D=

I typed in the numbers below the bar code on my cilantro band and then typed in cilantro into google search and it took me to Steinbeck Produce.So at least I know what I have now is okay.....I think lol

Amy

I was checking for you and I think that you are right ...if you want to go further you could call the store where you bought the greens and ask them if it is safe. the stores are going to be overly cautious about people getting sick from it so they will tell you the truth.

it really talks about the Midwest so that would include me also. I fed it tonight and everyone is fine soI am not worried butI understand your concern.

geez...so Salmonella is a bacteria infection...that causes stomch cramps and the runs with vomiting right...well we know buns dont vomit...so has anybody ever heard of a bun with salmonella? ..im just wondering if something like this has happened to a bun in the past and nobody knew why they were sick...kinda hard for them to say they feel like puking.....could be one of those times a bun gets the runs and we have no idea why...is it something they could die from ...i guess if their immune system is low that would def be a concern...oh Amy has Chase seemed any different lately?. i guess the veggies that have been distributed after dec. 7th are not contaminated...so if u were gonna have a prob u would have already ..i couldnt imagine u having any cilantro or parsley that old in ur fridge for ur bun anyways..shoot we gotta be careful dont we...? so would the veggies be contaminated on the inside or is it something that can be rinsed off ?....give Chase a big ol squeeze from me ...scary just scary.

Flash Gordon wrote:
geez...so Salmonella is a bacteria infection...that causes stomch cramps and the runs with vomiting right...well we know buns dont vomit...so has anybody ever heard of a bun with salmonella? ..im just wondering if something like this has happened to a bun in the past and nobody knew why they were sick...kinda hard for them to say they feel like puking.....could be one of those times a bun gets the runs and we have no idea why...is it something they could die from ...i guess if their immune system is low that would def be a concern...oh Amy has Chase seemed any different lately?. i guess the veggies that have been distributed after dec. 7th are not contaminated...so if u were gonna have a prob u would have already ..i couldnt imagine u having any cilantro or parsley that old in ur fridge for ur bun anyways..shoot we gotta be careful dont we...? so would the veggies be contaminated on the inside or is it something that can be rinsed off ?....give Chase a big ol squeeze from me ...scary just scary.
I don't think they can contract it, but not positive.
I know I don't want it! My brother had it a couple years ago and just wanted shot in the head.:shock:

Thanks Maureen. I have to go buy cilantro from the same store tonight so may be I will just check while I am there to be sure.

I am glad your crew is fine. Do you know what farm yours came from?

Lisa, I totally feel you. It is scary and you are right a bun could be sick from it and we could never know. I also think I read somewhere that it is hard to wash off because it is a bacteria. You are correct that the veggies I bought around December 7th are loooooong gone lol. Right now I just finished off some I bought on 12/23 and am going tonight to get more.

Chase is acting fine. Was running around last night and this morning.

Crys, that sounds awful!

I am going to call my vet this morning. Even though my buns are acting fine now. I think it is good to know if they can get it and what symptoms they have. As Lisa said, they can't vomit. I will let you guys know what I find out.

I talked to my vet and she stated rabbits can get samonella. She said the biggest sign would be runny poop.

I wash all my veggies in an organic vegetable wash. It is citrus based so rather on the acidic side to cut the wax that comes on so many things. I think soaking, which I do with the greens, would kill bacteria. Then again, that is what stomach acid is for as well. I eat what the bun eats so I guess we would both end up with the runs if something gets though. That's one way to know it is the produce. :bunnysuit:

Back