Saline ear flushing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annabelle00

Reaction score
When you saline flush the ears of a bunny to clean the wax build up...do you let the saline flow out through the sides or does it have to go down the ear....not sure?? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere water shouldn't go in rabbits ears.

(for future experience)

I've never had to do a saline flush on any of our rabbits' ears but I would put the rabbit on his side and as the solution goes in it also has a chance to drain back out.

NOt sure why you feel the need to flush your rabbit's ears... I have not seen a rabbit with sufficient wax in its ears that I felt it needed to be cleaned out and I have seen a LOT of rabbits. Ear mites are a different issue, but still I leave those rabbit's ears alone for the most part (just kill the mites systemically and the ears usually clear up on their own). I have never flushed a rabbit's ears, but I have flushed hundreds of dog and some cat ears... be gentle and try to suck out most of the remaining liquid after you are done flushing... but I rec: getting a vet's opinion as to whether it really needs to be done... rabbits certainly do have very sensitive ears!

NOt sure why you feel the need to flush your rabbit's ears... I have not seen a rabbit with sufficient wax in its ears that I felt it needed to be cleaned out and I have seen a LOT of rabbits. Ear mites are a different issue, but still I leave those rabbit's ears alone for the most part (just kill the mites systemically and the ears usually clear up on their own). I have never flushed a rabbit's ears, but I have flushed hundreds of dog and some cat ears... be gentle and try to suck out most of the remaining liquid after you are done flushing... but I rec: getting a vet's opinion as to whether it really needs to be done... rabbits certainly do have very sensitive ears!

My previous bunny was disabled and had a lot of waxy build up...when I showed it to the vet she gave me a saline flush....wasn't told about the draining part or if it's dangerous to the bunny...just worried about that part.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Latest posts

Back