salad mix and veggies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahall83

Reaction score
i like to give my rabbit a variety of veggies and greens a day and i was wondering if they could eat the stuff in spring mix salad mix. ive seen some of the things listed in good/bad veggie greens lists but not all. here is the list of whats in it. red and green romaine, red and green oak leaf, red leaf, lollo rosa, tango, red and green chard, mizuna, arugula, mache, frisee, and radicchio.

has anyone fed their rabbit spring mix with no issues? i was just wondering about this mix because i buy it for my family already. its all organic. i have not fed it to snowball yet. and if i cant figure out if it is safe i surely wont feed it at all.

also is it ok to feed some frozen veggies and fruits every now and again (thawed of course). and how often can they have spinach (due to the high calcuim i wouldnt think everyday)

thanks for the help!

Yes, I have often fed spring salad mix (or baby salad mix, or herb salad mix) to my bunnies. I am sure there are people would say it is bad for one reason or another, but my own personal philosophy is that the more variety in their diet, the better (just as with people). It is sudden change in diet, or too much of one thing that causes problems. Rabbits will self regulate if they have many different options available to them. If there is something in the salad mix they do not like, they will not eat it, as long as there is something else available to eat.

So, every day, ours get a a salad mix of some sort (minimum of 3 different greens, usually many more), lots of timothy hay, a bit of alfalfa hay, a bit of oat hay, and a timothy based pellet.

They also get to run around under apple trees every afternoon, and, contrary to popular belief, they do not binge on this sweet treat, presumably because they have so many other things to choose from out there: grasses, weeds, and twigs. They nibble at the fallen apples and many other things, and never get sick.

thank you very much. ive been feeding him a mix of veggies and greens everyday plus he always has timothy hay. and about a 1/4 cup of timothy based pellets. i agree that variety it very important. i strive with all my animals (birds,hamsters,lizards) to give them the best possible diet i can. any opinion on the frozen veggies and fruit?

I don't see why frozen veggies would hurt. Certainly I know there are members (myself included) who feed frozen fruit to their buns. This time of year,feedingthem frozen would help with keeping them cool. Bunny Popsicles! ;)

Hope that helps!

Rue

No problem with frozen fruits or veggies, as long as they have other stuff available to eat at the same time, so they can pick and choose. If you leave them nothing but fruit one day, that's all they will eat, and they may become ill.

Latest posts

Back