Sakura is lethargic and off her food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well....since Peg stated she wanted someone to look at the rehydration formula that was posted and offer an opinion. So here is my opinion. I would consider that formula to be totally inappropriate for a rabbit. The best oral rehydration is by either plain water or an electrolyte formula such as Pedialyte (human version) or some of the animal electrolyte products (I use a product called Electrostat when I need to use oral rehydration). That formula sounds like one from years ago when little was known clinically about the inner workings of a rabbit's gut and it was considered proper to treat a rabbit and a cat alike.

Sugar should never be introduced to a rabbit's gut...not in any substantial amounts anyway. I think all of you know how upset the gut can become with sugar in it. The baking soda is also a major concern. Baking soda is an antacid....a rabbit's gut is normally acidic with a pH of 1-2. That pH provides a proper and favorable climate for the growth of beneficial bacteria. The baking soda will move the pH to a more neutral position and that will stress the beneficial bacteria. This is also an example of not knowing how probiotics work. All probiotics contain various forms of acidophilus. Probiotics do not contain the correct strains of bacteria needed in the but...but they do acidify the gut...look at the first four letters I highlighted. This is what stabilizes the pH and allows the favorable climate for good bacteria to grow. If you give a probiotic and then give an antacid....you have cancelled out the benefit of the probiotic. The gut needs to be acidic to have a stable gut.

The best way to hydrate a gut is by either sub-q or IV fluids using either Lactated Ringers or Sodium Chloride....depending on the particular situation. If you have to hydrate orally.....plain water or one of the electrolyte solutions would be the only things that should be used. Rule of thumb....hydration (with correct formulas) before nutrition.

Randy

THank you Randy - with so much information "out there" on the internet - it is hard to know what is best!

I appreciate your response.

Its so worrying when pets get ill. There's nothing wrong with having a vet check out any animal if you think there is a problem.

It's good to read that Sakura is doing fine. Whatever the cause of your low mood, I hope you feel a bit brighter soon.Being on the receiving end of some bunny love can help sometimes:bunnyhug:

Don't overlook totake care ofyourself while you're being watchful of Sakura.

Jo xx

Latest posts

Back