Safety of Cefadroxil?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipwin

Reaction score
Saint Lawrence River Valley, New York, USA
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping maybe one of you have had a past experience with this medication. I took Winston to the vet yesterday (not our usual vet, but she appears to be pretty good with rabbits. I took him in because of his sore hocks, that I wanted to get checked out. She said it appeared maybe he had a slight infection, and prescribed him Baytril cream, and Cefadroxil (cefa drops- orally, 3x a day for 5 days.) I tried to find some information double checking if its actually a safe thing to give him, and haven't yielded many results (just that it's not recommended for guinea pigs.) His feet look better, and he is moving around, but his appetite seems down.

Has anyone had a bad experience withCefadroxil, or is it something not usually recommended for rabbits?I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

I moved this to the Infirmary section. I think you'll get more opinions here. I have never used Cefadroxil, (but maybe Randy can weigh in...)

Thanks for moving this thread, Bluegiants!

I just called the vet again, calling back againin 25 minutes when they open.With the exception of a few bites of apple, he really hasnt picked up eating, and really hasn't produced any pellets in the last 10 hours. Winston is running around, binkying, everything... just not eating, or pooping. Im hearing some bubbling noises coming from him... so im starting to get worried a bit about GI stasis. I've been massaging his belly, and allowing him to run around to try to get his digestive system moving... im also not using the medication prescribed anymore... i began to suspect last night upon reading the tiny little booklet that came inside the medication box that it might cause digestive system upset in smaller animals.

I feel like for what was maybe a slight infection in his foot, i got prescribed something that has caused many more serious problems (appetite loss etc) I wish I was in my hometown and had access to our normal, wonderful vet, but unfortunately in the middle of nowhere Northern NY, i just dont have quick access to anyone for emergencies like this.

Hi,

I am not a vet....but I would not use Cefadroxil orally. It is more commonly known (by me anyway) as Keflex....it's in the same family of drugs known as Cephalosporins. It is safe only as an injectable. It is not something that would be high up on my list of rabbit safe drugs even when injected. And I am not aware of a Baytril cream unless one has been concocted (I have made a cream/paste out of Baytril Otic mixed with SSD cream)....maybe something I missed along the way. SSD is much more commonly used in rabbits with skin infections....I do use Bactroban especially with cat bites on cottontails.

In my non-professional opinion....I think I would opt out of using Cefadroxil period....or at least have a discussion with the doctor about using it and I would want tosee something that would prove to me that it is safe to use orally. I use (again, I am not a vet) either a sulfanomide (Septra, Bactrim, etc.) for most skin issues....and if it really nasty, I use Chloramphenicol. And honestly, we have had only one case of a badly infected leg/hock.....and I have been very successful in treating them using only a topical. And in the one case, I did use the Chloramphenicol.

Just my non-professional opinion here.

Randy

If you hear rumbling and you feel he has gas, you can give him some baby gas medicines to help him pass the gas. Find a baby gas medicine in liquid form and give him 1-2 cc's every hour for about 3-4 hours. The active ingredient you are looking for is simethicone (I probably spelt that wrong but it's very close to the correct spelling...) which helps gas bubbles to join together making them easier to pass.

I would also try getting some mashed up pellets into him soon. Soak a couple pellets in water to make a slurry and suck it up into a syringe. The pellest absorb a ton of water, so let them soak for a good 5 minutes before using it to make sure it doesn't need more water. Getting a little something into his stomach will help prevent full blown stasis.

--Dawn

Thanks for the help! I just got back from driving 60 miles or so to a new (and really good) vet! She said that Cefadroxil would certainly not be her choice for rabbits, in fact, it would have been one of her last. She directed me to take him off that medication, and continue with the baytril on his foot. I also got some Bene-bac, OxBow Hay Critical Care, and some natural yogurt. I just finished giving him about 9 cc of Critical Care Hay Slurry, and 3 of some yogurt. So, I think we are set to go... until the next very messy feeding!
Thanks again

Everything sounds good except for the yogurt! The bene-bac should be enough pro-biotic to help his gut return to normal. I would stop using the yogurt as rabbits are lactose intolerant.

--Dawn

Hi.....I feel much better with the drug treatment. I am not a fan of yogurt....at all. The Bene-Bac is great. I use it extensively in wildlife rescue. The L Casei strain in that product works wonders with rabbits. It stabilizes that pH quickly and that means a good gut. The Critical Care is sometimes a little difficult to feed by syringe. I usually make a "burrito" using a large leaf of romaine...I mix the CC into a paste and spread it onto the leaf and then roll it up. Works great with head tilters when you are trying to reorient them. You can hand feed it....some of that very special one-on-one TLC that does so much good.

Randy

How long do you think it should take for things to start to return to normal? The vet said his appetite will kick back around on it's own.He's running around... and taking to my syringe feedings okay. Right now Im seeing lots of little pellets on the carpet... they aren't by any means normal... a little moist, and kinda sticky... however, it's the first time I've seen any pellets from him all day, so i hope i can take that as a good sign?

thanks again for your concern/advice.

Already seeing poops is a really good sign. I would say in a day or two he should be pretty much back to normal. Taking the feedings is really good as well, the little poops are probably a result of those.

You should notice the poops becoming bigger, rounder and firmer with the more he's eating.

Is he eating any hay? Hay will really help his tummy settle nicely.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back