Safe wood/sticks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny34422

Reaction score
Hi all, which list of "safe wood for rabbits" do you guys like to use?

I ask because I've read mixed things about certain wood like alder and maple, some say safe others say unsafe... and this Etsy shop I like sells these sticks for rabbits so I wanted to confirm. The only sticks I've bought so far are apple and willow. I want to have a variety for Timothy to try, but just want to make sure I don't buy something harmful.

Thanks!! :)

I've given Theo apple, maple, willow, and blueberry. He has never had a reaction to any of them.

I've never had much luck with bought wood sticks. Fresh willow twigs are much appreciated here though.

Okay thanks guys! Yeah I tried pet-store sticks once and never again, lol... I've had more success buying from Etsy shops. My mom doesn't think our trees outside are safe so we just order online. Recently got some more apple sticks and he loves them

Apple tree sticks are great for bunnies !! Just make sure to avoid sticks with any moss, mushrooms, or any of that kind of stuff, it can extremely hurtful to your bunny or even kill them

My guy goes crazy for willow! I too, order off of etsy. MaineWoodNThings sells a variety of different wood pieces for chew toys. Mine prefer the willow mostly but also chew their pine litter box, birch and cardboard. I live in FL and coastal willow grows like a weed here. They love when I make willow wreaths out of it so that's a free bonus

Our buns are willow connoisseurs. :) They won't touch the twigs off some trees; but, they devour every last scrap from others. :) So, if your buns turn up their noses at willows, don't be discouraged; they might not like that particular flavor. :) Try another tree somewhere else.

We give our rabbits willow treats 24/7/365; leaves in the summer and bark in the winter. That said, they love the bark off staghorn sumac even better; however, it is highly unlikely that many of you will ever be able to find any. It is not very common.

The picture shows a well-loved sumac branch (lower) and a willow (upper). They've just gotten a good start on the willow; all the bark will be gone in a day or two. The other picture is a close-up of the sumac. It has a fuzzy bark resembling a deer horn in velvet. The sap is sticky. Buns love it.

Quite by accident we discovered that our buns prefer sticks with branches, as shown. They sometimes won't even touch ones without them.Bark_chew_5379.jpgSumac_chew_5379.jpg

Back