Safe Vegetables and Foods

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter gave her bunny a big piece of romainelettuce and she loved it. Is this bad or good? How much is too much. Itwas a big leaf of a piece?

T

tterster wrote:
Mydaughter gave her bunny a big piece of romaine lettuce and she lovedit. Is this bad or good? How much is too much. It was a big leaf of apiece?

T

I've heard conflicting statements about how often to feed veggies, butRomaine is EXCELLENT for bunnies :) One big leaf isn't toomuch at all. I give Bo about a cup of greens a day, but Iwaited until he was 5 mos old to start slowly introducing ONE veggieevery three days. That is so that if there is a problem (softstools, allergy, etc.) you can identify the veggie. Just likea baby beginning food.

Here is a list I love :) This page lists goodveggies and how high they are in calcium. I take it with mewhen I go to the store :)

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/calcium.html

NOTE: I also stay away from things that might cause gas like brussel sprouts although they recommend them.

tterster wrote:
Mydaughter gave her bunny a big piece of romaine lettuce and she lovedit. Is this bad or good? How much is too much. It was a big leaf of apiece?

T

The key is to make any diet changes gradually.

A rabbit raised completely on a pelleted diet could get severe diarrheafrom being fed a large romaine leaf, where a rabbit on a diet primarilyof greens can eat a huge salad daily.

Sources such as the House Rabbit Society and Rabbit Productionrecommend limited pellets and daily greens and hay for pet rabbitswhose dietary requirements are different from those of rabbits used forbreeding/production.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
tterster wrote:
My daughtergave her bunny a big piece of romaine lettuce and she loved it. Is thisbad or good? How much is too much. It was a big leaf of a piece?

T

The key is to make any diet changes gradually.

A rabbit raised completely on a pelleted diet could get severe diarrheafrom being fed a large romaine leaf, where a rabbit on a diet primarilyof greens can eat a huge salad daily.

Sources such as the House Rabbit Society and Rabbit Productionrecommend limited pellets and daily greens and hay for pet rabbitswhose dietary requirements are different from those of rabbits used forbreeding/production.

Pam

That seems to be the problem that we are having with Chippy. She doesokay on pellets, hay, and water.If we give her too much ofsomething new, she has soft stools the next day or so. As long as it isa small amount she does okay. I give her a small amount of parsley (orother greens like romaine or escarole), a raisin, or a very small pieceof banana about once a week. She's really a little pig sometimes. Mywife gave her a piece of banana, about a half an inch thick, and sheput the whole piece in her mouth and was looking for more. Needless tosay, she had soft poopies the next day. It's so hard to resist that"bunnie" face though :p

Jim

Thanks Buck for that list! I'm going to print it out for myself AND the two homes who will possibly be taking my kits later!

I had no idea that certaintwigs would be okay. My vet hadsaid NO lettuce of any sort, but I have had no problems with it at allin small amounts.

I wanted to add my kits are three weeks old and whileI wasout my hubby fed them carrots! He said the munched out like crazy,soI expect runny poops. He can't resist my Gigi as she begsat the door of her cage whenever she sees anyone, even my dog, forfood! Now all the little ones are begging!

JimD wrote:
My wife gave her a piece of banana, about a half an inchthick, and she put the whole piece in her mouth and was looking formore. Needless to say, she had soft poopies the next day. It's so hardto resist that "bunnie" face though :p

Jim
Nano'sare like candy to them! and they are like little kids :)

Ifwe ask Bo if he wants a Nano, he goes about crazy until wegive it to him! He'll hop back and forth and shake his ears! He knowswhat the word means! YUMMY! lol.

Pam, I always forget that breeders and show people have a different way of feeding sometimes. Sorry.

I notice that a lot of mini-rex photos from shows, the buns aresorta..... fat.... is thisthe preferred thing? Orare they just thick and really not fat as all that?

Latest posts

Back