Safe Temperature Difference?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippen

Reaction score
Our rabbit lives in the garage, and I try to bring him in each day for play/social time. I just realized with the temperatures dropping I'd better check on what is safe, and possibly adjust our routine. It gets cold but we try to keep the garage at 50degrees. Inside is about 68-70.

Living indoors isn't an option, due to allergies and a 20 pound predator cat.

Obviously not an ideal situation, but from what I understand, as long as there is no big change in the temperature, it'll be ok. I'd be more concerned about summer heat. The shelter I got Honey from made sure she'd be in ac in hot weather.

I'd winterize his cage a bit. Maybe put a heavy blanket over top. And make sure he's got a box or other hidey-place to sleep and stay warm. Could you maybe get a small space heater to keep beside it?

Rabbits do quite well in colder temps, but the difference between the garage and the house could be too much of a difference for his system.

Mind you, we keep Gus in the basement at night and it gets pretty cold down there (I don't have a thermometer, so I'm not sure exactly how cold), but he seems to adjust quite fine between upstairs and down.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Thanks, I should have mentioned we're not new bunny owners. We're extremely cautious about heat (air movement, ice packs and bringing him in when needed to the coolest part of the house). In the winter we run a space heater in the garage to keep it around 50 degrees and protect the cage so there's not too much temperature variation. When the temps get really low we house off the cage area with a thick blanket and use a microwave warming disc.

Ournew rabbit (his name is Jack:)) just has different needs than our last one. If this temp difference is too much to be safe I guess we'll be hanging out more in the garage.

I don't think it is, but it could be. Really, you'd need to take your cue from him. If he seems overly hot in the house or overly cold in the garage, then you know he's not adjusting well. But since you've got the space heater and blankets and stuff, I think he'll probably be fine.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Latest posts

Back