Safe or Not Safe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Jack

Reaction score
Me and my girlfriend were at Hobby Lobby today picking up some art supplies she needed when I noticed their sale on unfinished wood projects. I picked up 3 little wooden boxes, a whicker basket, and a paper mache egg & tube. All of this for just under $12!

As I was inspecting them at the store there were some things that made me wonder if they would be really safe or not despite their unfinished appearance.

First off is this nice little boat shapped box that would make a nice bed complete with hay hideaway drawer. Problem is it is put together with small staples. Not sure if a bunny would try to eat these and hurt themselves.

boatbed.jpg
boatwithnails.jpg

next on the list is an octagon shaped box that is glued together with what I would guess to be wood glue. There's nothing really I can see so it must have been glued together with as little glue possible.

octabed.jpg

Last on the box list is a rectangular shapped box. It is put together with 4 screws. I doubt there would be any problem with this as I'm sure the screws are way too large to be swallowed.

boxbed.jpg
bedofnails.jpg

The whicker basket seems almost entirely untreated but I am not 100% sure on the rim. There are areas on the rim that have some discoloration as possibly due to uneven varnish treatments.

basket.jpg

basketdiscoloration.jpg

Finally there are the two paper mache items. The tube looks like it's just a simple piece of cardboard more than paper mache. The egg however is obviously paper mache and I'm not sure as what kind of paste mixture they use for that. However it is quite round so I dunno if they could really get their little mouths around it enough to get a bite out of it.

tube.jpg

egg.jpg

:DMy initial thought on this is that if it wasn't meant for the bunny and was a decorative piece in the home that bunny most likely would demolish it with out harm.

that's what I was thinking too for most of them. I mean most furniture has at least some varnish on them so it shouldn't be too dangerous.

The only thing I'm really concerned about are those small staples in the boat box.

ok, I figured when I was buying these things I was going to return some of them... I just wish it wasn't the boat cause that one is my favorite!

Latest posts

Back