Sad sad bunny story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChelle

Reaction score
Well I have a sad bunny story, and I know that you guys would understand! I think telling it will make me feel a bit better.. /sigh

About 2 years ago (Im 19 now) I convinced my mom to help me get a bunny. She was a lop, not sure what kind, and I loved her instantly. I remember that first day home when we let her run around, she was zipping around, binkying like crazy, making us all laugh :D Of course the new excitement of Daisy left, and I didnt give her as much attention/out of cage time as I should have. But she was still my bunny, and I loved her.

Ater a pretty short time with her (a month and a half to two months) I had to move to Texas, and I couldnt bring her with me. So I left her with my mom, and hoped she would be ok. My mom has a bad past with animals, and letting them go in the wild, but I was 100% sure she wouldnt do that with Daisy, because she was MY bunny.

I thought about Daisy every day, and I couldnt wait to get home. Total I was in Texas for about... 6 months. Well 4 weeks before I came home, my mom called me and said that Daisy ran away. The story was that she was running around the house, and one of my little siblings left the front door open, and she got out. Of course i didnt believe it, and I was CRUSHED.:cry2 I cried and cried and cried!

Then my brother very close to me in age told me that Daisy had gotten out in the house for a WEEK before my mom found her, so she was probably starving. Then my mom took her, drove out in the hills, and let her go. It hurts my heart to think about how my mom killed my bunny. Daisy did not deserve that!

I am sooo guilty over it. I feel so bad for Daisy, all she did was get a new family. And the family betrayed her. I barely got a new bunny like 2 weeks ago, another lop. I see Daisy in him. And the sadness helps me be a better mom to my bunny now. I just hope I can make up for Daisy by giving BJ (my current bun) the best life I can.

:tears2:

I'm so sorry your mother abandoned Daisy to fend for herself. I strongly advise that you never allow her to bun sit your new guy, BJ. Have you tried educating her on the reasons why what she did is unacceptable? Sometimes even parents need to be educated.

I def wouldnt trust her to babysit BJ. And I havent even talked to her about it yet, except to mention that I know what really happened with Daisy, at which she said I was mean and hung up on me.. /sigh

Oh, Sweetie...I'm so sorry this happened to you...

But, as you said, going through something so sad and horrible helps you be a better Mama to your sweet BJ.

((HUGS))

I have had similar experiences with my mother and the attitude toward animals. She euthanized a couple of her kitties in the past because she was tired of having them around. She couldn't just take them to a shelter, or something humane...she had to come up with "something's wrong with them", take them in, and come home empty-handed because she "couldn't afford to run a bunch of tests to find out what was wrong, much less pay for treatment", so she had the vet put them to sleep. It was awful...she let one of the kitties get horribly overweight, and the kitty wound up having issues with bathing and having breathing problems. She took her in to "be seen" by the vet because she felt something must be wrong...and didn't bring her home because she had the vet put her to sleep. It's so sad how little some people care about animals. Why get them in the first place, is what I ask!!

I'm very very sorry about your rabbit.

There may or may not come a time when you can discuss this with your mom without a lot of recrimination and finger-pointing
I don't know why some people don't have the same sense of caring for animals as others - this doesn't however, mean that in the future your mom may see the error of her ways and change. I'd try very hard not to alienate your mom over this - it simply isn't worth it - she IS your mom - she was involved in your care and upbringing, and for that, she is due a small amount of respect and understanding if she fails (like we all do at times).
I'm not saying here what she did was right - but it is much healthier for you, if at all possibly, to forgive her for what she's done - she may one day need to talk to someone about some of the not-so-pleasant things she'd done, and it's much easier to do that if she knows you won't judge her.

Im not one to hold grudges. Yes its heartbreaking, but I dont hate her for it. Im used to her doing it all my life, whether it was puppies (oh he ran away!), or our birds, they always ended up outside. Ive been thru enough in my life to not hold anything over anyone :)

Ive just been thinking about Daisy a lot lately, with BJ being here, and it just keeps making me unbearably sad.. :tears2:

"Ive just been thinking about Daisy a lot lately, with BJ being here, and it just keeps making me unbearably sad.."

Missing the ones we've loved and grown attached to is hard.
It sounds like you're still grieving over her, which is normal.
There will come a day and time when the grief won't grip you so tightly, and you'll be able to think of her without such sadness - maybe that's what, in some small way, BJ is there to help you with - each and every one has their own gifts to bring to us if we're open to them.

It's so hard to lose one that we love, and to have been betrayed by someone as close as your mom makes it infinitely harder. Not only do you have to work through the grief that comes with loss, but also the grief and pain that comes with betrayal. It's hard to tell what might conjure up old feelings. It's good that you have BJ to care for and love. Our bunnies have an amazing way of helping us heal! Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way!:hug2:

I'm a grudge-holder, myself. If someone did that to my animals, I probably would never speak to them again. Unless they apologized 8 million times and proved they'd changed. I don't care who it is, if they can't own up to their responsibility, and/or they treat animals with disrespect and cruelty, I don't have space in my life for them.

*shrug*

Not suggesting you do that, though. That's just how I am.

awh, i really really REALLY REALLY know what you went through. bout not the same events though.
my mum aswell.
joesph fransis. the best bunny- also binkiing on his firist day home...:( tearing- memories are hard
and he was ill. suddenly, and i keep him alive for about 2weeks. she did not let me take him to vet.... he died. now i leave ALL blame on her. i really dont give a hoot.
more than 50% chance he would be here, if she let me take him to the vet:bawl::cry1: i realised taht she let me watch him die in pain- grinding. like nmothing normal
i also have a very bad grudge agaisnt her aswell as the bunny.
i thin its ruining me mentally and physcolicsllly aswell,.
dont think i can post it with out getting very angrey or sad. maybe bot
h:sigh:

Latest posts

Back