Sad quick...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8ozcup

Reaction score
So I was cutting Layla's nails and I hit her quick kinda bad... Maybe it just looked worse than it was because she has white fur, but it got all over me and her. I didn't have a styptic pencil so I ran it under some water, and it did eventually stop. Do you guys think she'll be okay? I kept her out of the litterbox and kept wiping it with a damp cloth... I've never done that before and I feel terrible! Will she trust me again...? :nerves1

I had it happen with a guinea pig once and they were fine. I think she will be fine, if it was going to be a problem i think it wouldnt have stopped bleeding and that would have been where the problem was.
She prob still didnt feel anything and if she didnt act too disturbed i am sure she will be just fine with you. These things do happen, it is not like you did it on purpose x

I've had this happen to me more than once.
I will rush the bun to the sink and put the paw under the faucet until it stopped bleeding.
You can use regular flour if you dont have the styptic powder

sometimesI have trouble getting either quick enough....

Our Vet told us that Cornstarch is also ok to use.

Susan :)

Although it bleeds a lot and can be terrifying, it's not a big deal at all. It happens to me a lot (but I cut a lot of bunny nails!) and nobody has ever had any long-lasting effects. In fact, they're usually back on the ground running in a few minutes! Even with a lot of practice, it's easy to hit the quick by mistake. Others have mentioned good alternatives to styptic. As long as she's acting normal, she probably didn't lose enough blood to have problems (even though it may have looked like it!). If there is a scab on the nail, it should be fine and probably won't open up again. If it doesn't look sealed up, perhaps try one of the styptic alternatives and give some cage rest. Definitely don't let her claw on anything (like grass mats, carpet) that could disturb her scab for a few days.

My least favorite experience with cutting nails was once when I was cutting the nails of the shelter bunnies. I help at an "adoption center" inside a local pet store, which is basically a room in the back of the store with big windows where we keep the buns and let them exercise. I got the quick of this one bunny and got blood all over my shirt, with people staring in through the window!! I didn't want them to think I was a bunny killer, so I had to change my shirt!

Thank you guys so much for the tips! She seems okay now, except that she's pissed. Can't say I blame her, though. If my manicurist cut my cuticle like that, I don't think I'd be too happy about it. Her nail looks like it's scabbed over so I'll give her a few days to heal up. Thank you all again!

Latest posts

Back