Sad bunny mummy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and have never been on one but I need to talk to someone. I have two rabbits that have a huge outdoor fox proof enclosure. They have a burrow that they dug, it has an entrance but no exit. I usually open the gate for the day so they can roam around the garden as we live on a large property. I close the gate every night before dusk once they are safely inside as there are foxes around. My mum (who lives at the back of our house) said she would close the gate 4 nights ago but she didnt. The next morning the rabbits were gone and I have not seen them since, I am beside myself with grief, so much that I can not eat or sleep or do much of anything but cry and cry. They just loved each other so much and I rescued them both from mean owners. The next day I found Wubby's tail fur. Ok, I know you will be thinking that the fox got them but its too much for me to think about. I threw a carrot and a corn cob down the front of the burrow and it was gone the next morning. Is it possible they (or at least one of them) got away from the fox and is hiding in the burrow for this long? Or do you think the possums are eating the food? The missing food gives me faint hope. I am just so, so sad. Suzie

I'm so sorry. A chunk of fur might not mean anything. It's a possibility they got really scared and are hiding out in their hole. I would keep putting some food by the burrow, maybe a little right in the burrow and some right outside it, and if they are hiding out in there, then they'll eventually get brave enought to come out. Your best bet of catching a glimpse of them coming out for the food, would be in the early morning or at dusk. You will want to make sure that the gate stays shut at night. I really hope for the best and that you're able to find them.

Thanks Jenny, it's nice to talk to people who understand the depth of love for these beautiful creatures. It really helps. Im so sick of crying, I think the worst thing is not knowing, no body to bury, no closure. I just put some spinach leaves down, a carrot and corn cob. I saw a mouse run out, I hope its not him eating the food. I just miss them so much, and kicking myself for not closing the gate myself, but I trusted my mum to do it. Why didn't she come and get me to round them up when it got dark and they weren't in? Anyway, if they are gone, the comfort is that they are in heaven together.
Kind Regards
Suzie

I know it's possible that they may not have made it, but they could also maybe be somewhere out near your property. You may just want to take a walk around some morning or evening, just in case they are out there somewhere.

No one is ever going to be as careful about taking care of our pets as we are, cause we're the ones that love them the most. But even then, we all make mistakes. It's impossible to do everything right. I lost one of my sweet bunnies, this summer. She had some health problems that I didn't understand at the time, and so I made mistakes that ended up costing her her life. I had done my best for her at the time, but even then things will happen. Since then, I have learned a lot more, and so can help the buns I have now, even more. But I was heartbroken too, when she died. I cried for days, and still do a little, cause I really loved her so much, but it gets better day by day. And there is some hope that your rabbits could still be out there somewhere, hopping around.

If it helps at all, this past summer I had bought a mini Rex buck. After having him for only 2-3 weeks, he escaped. I thought the worse, since we also live in the country. Well in a small town. But we get coyotes and all other animals here. Anyways. A couple days later, copper was found by my neighbour in their front yard eating plants. Luckily for me he isn't shy and let me walk right up to him and pick him up.

Hope they turn up safely

I once heard ravens cawing a lot outside my home. I was used to hearing them. Something in the sound of it made me wonder what was going on as I went and looked out a window I saw a hawk swoop down towards a bunny in my yard but the ravens were on his tail and they chased him down through the woods as the rabbit ran off. I went out in my yard a little later and there was a clump of bunny fur(no blood). That bunny got real lucky.

Just because you saw some fur does not mean necessarily that your bunnies were killed. If I were you I would continue to keep and eye out for your buns each morning and night. They may still reappear.

Hi Everyone,
You have no idea how your messages are helping, even if I never get to see their beautiful little faces again. I have re-opened the gate and will leave it open just in case a miracle occurs, I thought they may have made it back to the burrow, but I know they haven't. I think I have made mistakes, like closing the gate the next morning. Licorice was out there for 3 days (at least) because I searched the property and found his fur the following day where the previous there was none. But like you say, it could have even been a cat or anything so I will try and stay positive. I feel physically sick all the time, only people like yourselves understand. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my distress.
Suzie

Last edited:
Aw, I think we are in the exact same situation. My gate was left open, and my boy has been missing a week now. I feel your pain. Biggest hugs, and my thoughts are with you. Xo

Hello, I have not been on this forum since my last post because its just been too painful. No, my little rabbits have not returned, i know in my heart that they are gone because I found Wubby's tail one day and a few days later I found lots of Licorice's fur. I still miss them so so much and I can not even begin to consider getting any more. Thought I had stopped crying but tears now falling. Hope everyone out there has a lovely Christmas and safe New Year.
Suzie:cry4:

Latest posts

Back