Rupert the Poopert

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panacrent

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this site is very exciting!

i came for more information on ruperts poop reingestion, since the small book i have only mentioned it.

i bought my bunny from a pet store friday evening because i fell inlove with him as soon as i saw him. the clerk said she 'thinks its aboy' but that doesnt sound to promising. im going to call the vet inthe morning to make an appointment to check things out, since he camefrom a pet store and they sometimes seem sketchy to me.

she also said that he is about 2 months old. He seems quite healthy so far and we have started bonding and its great!

sometimes i call him poopert because when he exlores on his crib mat, he leaves poop everywhere and it makes me laugh.

im going to try posting a few pictures, maybe you can recognize whatsort of rabbit he is? all i know is that he is not a dwarf, and he maybe medium sized. my pictures are too huge, so i guess i will have toput them up later when i can find out how to make them reasonable sized.

"nqqqwrbnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyycccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc"said Rupert just now. Often times he likes to turn caps lock on for me.

Welcome panacrent, :)

A poopin bunny is (generally) a healthy bunny!

-Carolyn

P.S.

Rabbits have two different types of poop. One is hard, the other is much softer and looks almost like a small bunch of grapes.

The poops he eats is called cecetropes They're different from his otherpoops because they are usually small and oblong and soft. They're abreakdown of indigestible fiber turned to nutrients that the rabbitneeds. In order for the rabbit to benefit from the digestiblenutrients, they have to move it to their digestive system again.

:)

Go to http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/rabbits.htm and click on "Sexing Rabbits".

My new bunny has a check up at the vets tomorrow.they seemed happy that i would bring him in to check him out unless ithought something was wrong with him. i guess people around here dontusually do that for rabbits. i just want to make sure rupert is happyand healthy.

i tried my best using that website, but i couldnt decide which one it looked more like.

hmmm, do you have any suggestions how deep i should lay his bedding?also, im feeding him what the pet store was, which is alfalfasupplement "Alfa-bits" and crunchy pellet food "vita-vittles." arethese trustable ? there is one type of hay/grass in the bits thatrupert doesnt like to eat as much. is that suspicious?

i have 28 pictures of him so far, but heres the first one that i sized down.

Very cute bunny. i have one that looks almostidentical, except she has a black dot on her back. she eats the rabbitpellets i get from farmers co-op. they say its the best for them. i'lllook and see what the name is. may be having more babies soon. Will begiving them away. and no more breeding.:?we don't know how charlie gotin with lily.but hedid. shirley

bunniesluv

Hi Panacrent,

Generally I like to give my rabbits a crude fiber of at least 18% ormore. Crude protein at 12% or higher as well. Ipurchase my pellets from my breeder, but have purchased it at Agway orTSC (Tractor Supply Company) in the past because the feed stores movetheir pellets quickly so your assured of freshness and usually a goodfeed. Anything with a lot of colorful bits in itusually has a lot of sugar in it. The more boring looking thefeed, usually seems to be the better for the bunny. Too muchsugar is really bad for your rabbit's system, so try to steer clear ofit. (Keep in mind that treats, store-bought bunny treats,vegetables andfruit also have a lot of sugar in it, so treatsonly in moderation. Two or three times a week.)

If you are using a solid-bottom cage, then you should cover the bottomwith the litter you're using. Not much more than 1/2 inch toan inch is needed. The rabbit will most likely target acorner that he/she uses as a bathroom and the litterwill getshifted around anyway. If you are using the solid-bottomcages, be sure to clean it daily so that the little one doesn't have tosit in soiled litter.

I have a wire-bottom cage, but use a litterbox for one of my bunnies aswell. The litterbox in the cage gets cleaned daily, and theother bunny that doesn't like to use the litterbox, just urinates andpoops on the wire and it drops through and the litter (sprinkled enoughto just cover the bottom of the cage and a bit more where she poops andurinates the most) catches it in the drop-pan under the cage.Don't use cedar as when it mixes with the urine of the rabbit, itcreates a toxic fume for them.

I steer away from alfalfa because it's high in calories and calcium andinstead I use Timothy Hay. When using a grass hay, be sure toput it in a hay rack because if the bunny urinates on it and then eatsit, she/he will become very sick. Some rabbits eat more hayand drink more water than others. Some make a pig out ofthemselves, while others can have their food dish filled all day longand not over eat. The extra fiber in the grasshay is helpfulin keeping the rabbit's system moving and can help push furballsthrough their system, as well as it's good for their teeth, and theylove it. That said, with a good quality pellet feed, there'sgenerally enough of fiber in it to keep the rabbit's system functioningproperly.Not only does ourone and only'Doc', Pamnock-on thisforum state this to be the case, I havea 4.5 year old rescue that was taken to the vet and given acleanbill of health and she was never given hay all of herlife.Personally I like to give my rabbits the extra'push' of the fiber and I enjoy how much they loveit. I can understand why a breeder such as Pamnockdoesn't use hay because she has at least 150 to 180 rabbits and it canbe pretty messy.

It's true that a lot of people don't bring their rabbits to the vet forcheckups unless something is wrong, but I think it's wise of you sinceyou've gotten the little one from a pet store. If it bringsyou peace of mind, I think it's well worth it. Don't beafraid to ask the doctor questions.

Your little one is gorgeous. No wonder why it was love at first sight!

-Carolyn

attachment.php

I believe thisis a Dwarf Hotot.

Your bun is socute! My little girl has this little, itty-bitty, wind upbunny that was in her Easter basket. She keeps it on herdresser and it looks just like Rupert! Welcome to thegang!

Raspberry

Oh no!!!! i forgot to say this!

Rupert's appointment today went well and i got to ask lots ofquestions, and he gave me a little timothy hay for until i can go buysome for my little guy.

however, the vet said that he was 99% sure that rupert is a girl!!!:shock::shock::shock:

so now that i can officially name HER, im picking angie, for angelinajolie, the beautiful actress and UNHCR sponsor. which is veryappropriate, because jolie is french for beautiful!

he said he thought that she was probably a mini, but he cant tellbecause we're not acutally sure of her age. she only weighs 12ounces!!! so cute!

he also thinks that she may be part or all chinchilla breed. ive neverheard of a hotot. does anyone have one that i could see a picture of?

thanks for being helpful guys!

WOW!:shock: THAT was a turn of events! Glad toread that Rupert ... er, excuse me, ANGIE is healthy and doingwell! :)

pet stores ...............................................................................................................

...............................................................................................................................

..............................................................................................................................

when will they learn????????????

glad your bunny is happy and sound she looks like an angie:D

Latest posts

Back