Rupert is Getting Neutered

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

housetb

Reaction score
So, I took Rupert in this morning to get neutered. I asked the technicians a couple questions about care and stuff; they seemed to not be too concerned. They said that bunny neuters are pretty common at their office and they always go well. They said I probably wouldn't be able to even tell he was in surgery. I know they are taking good care of him and that the vet doing the surgery is very experienced.

Is there any crucial, special care someone would suggest I do even if the vet office doesn't suggest it? I am going to keep him confined in a smaller cage for a couple weeks, since we have our other bunny. I also was going to keep the two buns separated for 4 weeks so Rupert can be completely healed and have the hormones out of his system. :)

:clapping:

I would ask about Metacam for a couple days. My vet just sent me home with three doses for Gary. The males really aren't that big of a procedure. I confined my boy for two days and then let him run. He was banging the bars and acting like he was getting tortured. I figured if he didn't need any more pain meds then he would moderate himself.

Basically from the time he came home he was a much better boy. Same personality minus all the peeing and humping. :biggrin2:

The techs did mention that they would probably give me some pain medication for the first couple days back home. I'll make sure I ask about it if they do not give me any though.

Don't use shavings other other similar bedding until he is healed (at least a week). Also keep hay contained so it doesn't poke him. With the litter box, you may want to not use litter and maybe use newspaper for a couple days. If you have a grate on the box, you should be able to keep using the regular litter. Clean the cage daily so you can monitor his pee and poop and to keep the area clean for him.

If you can, keep his cage close to the cage of the one he is bonded to. This lets them see and smell each other. If you use blankets and they are not too dirty, you can switch them between the cages so they still have the smell of each other in the cage. Be careful re-bonding them as it can take some time for them to get used to each other. Since he is not neutered, the lack of hormones can make the relationship different.

I would keep him confined for at least a week. While he may be feeling better, he stil is not totally healed.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Don't use shavings other other similar bedding until he is healed (at least a week). Also keep hay contained so it doesn't poke him. With the litter box, you may want to not use litter and maybe use newspaper for a couple days. If you have a grate on the box, you should be able to keep using the regular litter. Clean the cage daily so you can monitor his pee and poop and to keep the area clean for him.

If you can, keep his cage close to the cage of the one he is bonded to. This lets them see and smell each other. If you use blankets and they are not too dirty, you can switch them between the cages so they still have the smell of each other in the cage. Be careful re-bonding them as it can take some time for them to get used to each other. Since he is not neutered, the lack of hormones can make the relationship different.

I would keep him confined for at least a week. While he may be feeling better, he stil is not totally healed.

I asked the vet about the bedding and she said it wouldn't be bad to use his normal bedding (which normally is his litter bedding too) by tomorrow or 2 days at the most. I don't really know what to do though because I typically keep him in a bigger cage made from NIC panels. Then I use the cage bottom from the smaller cage (that I use for transporting) as his litter box. So usually he has blankets as his normal bedding with pine as his litter.

Right now I have blankets in the bottom of the travel cage (which I plan to keep him confined to for at least 1 week) because I knew that would be best for today. Should I keep the blankets until after the week is up then go ahead and switch back to the litter, or should I do something completely different. I just want him to be comfortable and as stress free as possible. He seems really good right now, as he is eating hay and romaine that I put in the cage for him. :)

So you got him back now? Yay! Glad it sounds like he's doing well.
I know I'm going to be freaking out when I take my bunny for his...I'm such a worrier. :p

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
So you got him back now? Yay! Glad it sounds like he's doing well.
I know I'm going to be freaking out when I take my bunny for his...I'm such a worrier. :p

Yeah, I took him in at 8am and had him back at 5p. The procedure was quick and they said he did a great job! :) He's been doing just fine since he came home. I'm sure you won't have any troubles either.

He ate just a little after we got home. He went potty normally and everything, so all is well. This morning he was mad at me because I wouldn't let him out to hop around so he decided to chew on the bars of the cage he's in. HAHA. I'm going to go ahead and move him into his bigger cage tomorrow because the vet said it would be OK to do that. He needs more space to move around at least, but he won't be able to go [too] crazy hopping around and stuff.

Back