Runt Help!! - Rip

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcfan23

Reaction score
I have 4 baby dwarf bunnies and I'm worried about the runt. What should i look for before i start bottle feeding??

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

You shouldn't bottle feed. If mom has milk, use her to feed the baby (it'll have a much greater chance of survival without changing milk). You can do this by placing her in a box with some hay and petting her head to keep her calm as you place the baby under her and let it nurse (make sure it doesn't get cold and that she doesn't stomp on it).

How much smaller is it, and does it look any different otherwise? Peanuts are common in Netherland Dwarfs. They are the ultimate runts, resulting from getting two dwarfing genes, and they inevitably die (though there are rare cases of them surviving).

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1380147163.101494.jpg

Its the one up at the top

How old are they? Peanuts don't usually live more than a week, or two at the most, and typically have a large forehead. If his head is normal size and he's just smaller than the other two you could see if he'll nurse without the other two around.

They will be a week old tomorrow. Hes shaped the same as the others just really small and seems thin.

It's a tough call. Unfortunately, some just don't make it...they fail to thrive. Is he nursing at all? If he's getting thin then he's also getting weak, possibly too weak to nurse. You could try to carefully syringe some kitten replacer milk or goats milk in him, but he really needs his mother's milk.

I dont know if he's feeding, but every time i check on the babies he's climbing all over the others.

Okay, well, you could try what I suggested to supplement, but you need to observe a nursing to confirm whether he's getting much of anything from Mom. With only 3, it shouldn't be hard to find a nipple to nurse from.

Okay thanks.

The runt died today :(

Sorry to hear that but, unfortunately, it's something you have to deal with when you raise rabbits

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Latest posts

Back